PDA

View Full Version : What's in your regular tote?

DonSchap
03-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm kind of curious as to what everyone is carrying with them as regular lenses with their DSLR.

It's tough to cover all the bases with just one lens ... but, some do try. If you don't carry a big lens bag, you're rather strapped.

So ... how many lenses are with your camera on a regular basis? Detail them with a supporting comment as to why, if you would.

DonSchap
03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
My standard bag is a Tamrac Sling-bag which allows me to sport the SONY α700/VG-C70AM with:

Tokina AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 mounted,
TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 unmounted
SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 unmounted, for low light opportunities.

I also have the HVL-F56AM external flash in the bag ... but that covers the standard fair. Total cost runs about $2700, including the bag. It's a conservative bag, to be sure.

Unlike the backpack, the sling bag allows you to stand there, rotate the bag around your body, from back to front, without actually having to remove it. Thereby you can remove your camera body and lenses safely from the top, without dumping it. Now, for the female photographers, I cannot really comment. Due to various physical differences of the upper body, one-size may not fit all.

The sling bag is one of the only bags that can accomodate the extra-height size of the vertical grip.

SONYNUT
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
bag..lol...suitcase!!!!

Rooz
03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
50mm/1.8 mounted. 85mm/1.8, 10-20mm, sb800.
thats my regular kit. i dont bother taking the 70-200 unless i know i'll need it. i take the primes cos they are sharp and work beautifully, it has nothign to do with low light.

DonSchap
03-23-2008, 11:56 AM
To be honest, I had hoped there would be a few more photographers responding to this posting. It's non-partisan and requires minimal thought, much like the Presidential candidates are demonstrating. LOL

@SONYNUT .... is that some "lens shadow" I see ... with a "pop up?"

Just try sporting THAT suitcase on your chest! :eek: I am sorry, you are, literally, "grounded" getting a lens or camera out of that. :(

Rooz
03-23-2008, 04:20 PM
perhaps put it into the general dslr forum. its an interesting question

DonSchap
03-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Fair enough ... but, I worry about detractors. You know ... those guys! ;)

Rooz
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
lets see how many of them carry VR/ IS lens' lol

Djzleite
04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
ALways carry one mounted, or the DT 18-70 or the Sigma 70-300 with the 1,4x teleconverter also from Sigma.
My fav is the big tele but itīs very hard sometimes to shoot when space is little.
Yeah, itīs nice for the moon or long distance but inside buildings itīs hard and also very heavy.
Iīm tempted to bring another A100 to keep lens on each machine.

DonSchap
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
My standard bag is a Tamrac Sling-bag which allows me to sport the SONY α700/VG-C70AM with:

Tokina AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 mounted,
TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 unmounted
SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 unmounted, for low light opportunities.

I also have the HVL-F56AM external flash in the bag ... but that covers the standard fair. Total cost runs about $2700, including the bag. It's a conservative bag, to be sure.

Unlike the backpack, the sling bag allows you to stand there, rotate the bag around your body, from back to front, without actually having to remove it. Thereby you can remove your camera body and lenses safely from the top, without dumping it. Now, for the female photographers, I cannot really comment. Due to various physical differences of the upper body, one-size may not fit all.

The sling bag is one of the only bags that can accomodate the extra-height size of the vertical grip.

Okay, I rearranged the tote for my upcoming, weekend trip to Colorado. I would like to take the backpack, personally, but the airlines are becoming so goofy and erratic, I just gave up. One bag ... give me a break! Yeah, I do need some clothes ... not just a couple pairs of briefs like Ashton Kutcher.

So, in the sling bag ...

SONY α700 w/ extra batteries and VG-C70AM
and all zooms ...
SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 "Vista shots"
TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 "Walkabout"
Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 "Nature - gettin' in there"
2x T/C - just in case :p
and the external flash.

This should cover an on-the-run bag-o'-changeable glass. I figure the mountains may deserve more than just the ol' 18-250 treatment. ;) The weather is supposed to be gorgeous, this weekend, there ... 70°F! Yes, sir. Springtime in the snow-covered Rockies!

DonSchap
04-18-2008, 11:26 PM
It was a good lens selection, as I used all three lenses ... and really only had a need for the 50mm f/1.4 at the USAF Academy. I refrained from using the 2x T/C ... due to my rather intense dislike of the devices (only in desperation, not by choice).

Unfortunately, I had the vehicle (2008 GMC Yukon) for all my gear ...

but, I was traveling as light as I dare, due to the flippin' airplane ride and TSA's invasive techniques. Lotsa car @ $23/day ... and all I brought was a sling bag. :( It's a rough life. :rolleyes:

cdifoto
04-19-2008, 04:24 AM
Here's my bag as packed normally and for Mexico, minus a few things that I'm currently using like the laptop, external HDD, etc. Inside those clear-ish pockets you'll find various cables...firewire/USB for syncing the time with my laptop, battery charger cords, PC sync cords, etc. In the slots themselves clockwise from top left: Sigma 12-24mm + AA charger, 10D w/BG-ED3 Grip + 70-200 f/2.8 IS + TR Pak IIa, 1D II charger + CP-E3, Sunpak 383, Vivitar 5600, 580EX II, Empty slot for external HDD & its cables, 1D II + bracket + 24-70L + OC-E3, AA batteries + body cap + ebay wireless triggers + tripod QR plates, NP-E3 + BP-511 batteries x2 each + BP-511 charger, Sekonic L-358 + Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4 + body/lens caps, empty slot for I forget what. On the outside is a zippered pocket for the laptop AC adapter, and on the front are various pockets and slots that hold things like grey cards, a big pack of alkaline batteries, card reader, Fuji battery charger, Lumiquest Softbox, my bomber vest, etc.

DonSchap
04-19-2008, 09:37 AM
It would seem to be a well-suited inventory for an indoor attack. Most of my recent effort was entirely outdoor. Darn few opportunities for any kind of flash ... so half of the above bag would have been ... so much extra weight, one of the reasons the backpack was avoided.

I suspect that a generic approach is fine, if you have that kind of package ... but, I kind of knew what I was walking into. On-the-spot review of most shots was incredibly difficult because of the intense sunlight, even in shadow ... and I appreciated bracketing almost every shot, allowing for some adjustments to produce a relatively decent result. I would have burned through a lot of film, that's for sure.

Looks like a hell of a bag, though, Don. Lots of portable light ... where there isn't much. Fortunately, that wasn't an issue with the Colorado mountains.

cdifoto
04-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah I'm doing a wedding on a beach of the Yucatan in June so the chances of needing fill light are about 100%. hah. I don't actually carry that pack on me at all times...it's more of a from here to there storage bag. I put it somewhere and load up the bomber's vest (Newswear Chestvest) once I get to an actual "set" and can analyze my exact needs.

DonSchap
04-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I agree ... that's a most excellent pack for that. With the Canon I had, I was running around with three flashes and a portable reflecting kit, in an attempt to provide a truly portable, soft light solution. It didn't work as well as I had hoped ... but, it had potential. Heck, I'm still playing with lighting solutions ... incorporating Gary Fong's ideas ... but, still meeting with limited success. Since I completed my college work, the experimentation has been reduced in that area.

To be frank, I truly hated the idea of having to drag those relatively huge "car batteries" around with me (supplies for strobes) and I still seek alternative ideas for a real solution.

Who knows? Perhaps we are looking at a photographic business point that needs fresh eyes and a new approach. Obviously, the old stuff is either not enough photons or impractical to carry. I figure maybe we could incorporate the newer LED technology in a new way, perhaps building a lightweight ring of lamps around a zip-disk diffuser ... and setting it off in a similar way that the Digi-Slav 6400 does it.

LEDs are rugged as all get out, small and relatively light. You could rapidly pop open the LED-laced diffuser, from its soft bag ...

(something like this - you get the idea - add LEDs as necessary) plug it in to your "AA" supply and wireless trigger device and "POP", instant light all over the place ... fold it right back up and stuff it. Now, that's packing LIGHT! :D

Whatever it turns out to be, weight reduction, in my estimation, is paramount. Most of us are just a "one-man show." Killing yourself for images doesn't make a lot of sense, either.

great_guns
05-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Here's my bag as packed normally and for Mexico, minus a few things that I'm currently using like the laptop, external HDD, etc. Inside those clear-ish pockets you'll find various cables...firewire/USB for syncing the time with my laptop, battery charger cords, PC sync cords, etc. In the slots themselves clockwise from top left: Sigma 12-24mm + AA charger, 10D w/BG-ED3 Grip + 70-200 f/2.8 IS + TR Pak IIa, 1D II charger + CP-E3, Sunpak 383, Vivitar 5600, 580EX II, Empty slot for external HDD & its cables, 1D II + bracket + 24-70L + OC-E3, AA batteries + body cap + ebay wireless triggers + tripod QR plates, NP-E3 + BP-511 batteries x2 each + BP-511 charger, Sekonic L-358 + Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4 + body/lens caps, empty slot for I forget what. On the outside is a zippered pocket for the laptop AC adapter, and on the front are various pockets and slots that hold things like grey cards, a big pack of alkaline batteries, card reader, Fuji battery charger, Lumiquest Softbox, my bomber vest, etc.

Gulp!:eek:

VTEC_EATER
05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I throw the D300 w/ 18-55/2.8 mounted, 12-24/4, 50/1.8, and my SB800 in my small bag. Thats a good one for just the daily stuff.

My big bag gets the addition of the 70-200, my assortment of filters, MB-D10 grip, and a bunch of the odds and ends like blowers, lens cleaning, cables, and all that other junk.

laydros
01-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I figured it would be fun to drag this one back up. How many lenses do you typically carry, and what are they.

This is sorta explained in the flickr page I link to in the "Casing the joint" thread, but now my daily carry is the Tamrac Aero 85 with my a300 with either the MinO 28-85 or 50mm 1.7 mounted, the beercan, and the kit lens.

DonSchap
01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
You have it light, young one! Muahahahahaha

seanhoxx
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
As it is winter and indoor sports season I have my 'fast bag' packed. A700 with Tamron 70-200 2.8 mounted, Minolta 50mm 1.7 it's small light and fast takes up almost no room. Tamron 17-50 2.8, and the Tokina 28-70mm 3.5 - 4.5 mainly because there is room for it and I don't have a flash unit to put in the spot! Extra battery, memory cards, cables, a lens pen and some CZ premoistened lens wipes.

laydros
01-10-2009, 03:50 PM
You have it light, young one! Muahahahahaha

Yeah, if money was not an issue I'd have the CZ 16-35, 24-70 and the G 70-200, Tammy 200-500, and a handful of primes. Probably keep the 16-85 on since it's lighter. But really there would still be a pretty nasty weight issue.

Basically the plan right now is to see how much I like the 50mm prime, and decide if I want to get the Tamron 17-50, or go the prime route. I'm loving the 50mm so far, and it seems like a lot of people skip zooms altogether and just carry a few primes.

It's just hard to think that the MinO 24 or the MinO/Sony 28 would really be preferable to getting the T 17-50mm.

dr4gon
01-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey cool thread, it's before my time!

In my recent trip to Toronto. My standard carry (not on the plane) was my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW with

A300 mounted with Tamron 17-50 F2.8 in main compartment
Tamron 70-200mm inside main compartment
Sony HVL-F58AM in the top compartment (this flash is just so darn BIG)
Extra CF card
Grey card
microfiber cloth

The all-weather cover saved me a few times walking around downtown in the rain and snow. Great bag! Just doesn't hold anymore than that.