PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop necessary for newbie?

somimom
03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
While I recognize that Photoshop completes (or enhances) the entire SLR package and experience, is it really a necessity when starting out or can I invest in that further down the road? I've been saving and saving and finally have enough for a digital slr but am wondering if I should wait and also save for Photoshop. I believe there is going to be a learning curve for me in the new camera so I'm a bit intimidated at the thought of also having to learn Photoshop. I currently have a Canon PowerShot.

I should mention that I am wanting to use the camera to take pictures of my children, lovely Colorado scenery, and interesting images for my blog so I don't expect to be doing a ton of manipulating to begin. Many thanks ahead of time for your responses. I'm learning so much for you all!

D Thompson
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
IMO you don't need the full version of PS, just get PS Elements and it should do all you need at quite a savings.

TheWengler
03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I find PS Elements to be good enough most of the time. Most cameras come with some sort of editing software too. Some are better than others though. It's covered in the reviews on this site. That might be sufficient to start.

Beowulff
03-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Even PS Elements may be a steep learning curve for a beginner?

Maybe something like Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/download/) which is a free download from Google would be a better way to get a feel for post-processing. Then, later on, you can better decide which post-processing software will suit you, as there's several other excellent products available apart from PhotoShop.

If you'd like to check out a bit about how PS Elements work, you might like to check out the tutorials HERE (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselementsbasics/Photoshop_Elements_Basic_Tutorials.htm).

Cheers :)

ooverdrive
03-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Agree with Beowulff....i live with picasa and photofilter...both are easy to learn.

mjalex
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Get your slr and start shooting.

Spookonthe8ball
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree with the post above. Get your camera and start shooting. You might try saving copies of your original pictures and only edit copies of the original. Years down the road you can always go back to that original file and edit with whatever software you are comfortable with at that time.
Spook

photo-print-reviews
03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I also would recommend Picasa for beginners! It's free and it rocks! Most of the common modification requirements of a new photographer can be easily done using Picasa..