PDA

View Full Version : Motion Blur on photos

lovrin
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi.

I'm a new photographer and I would really like to learn how to get motion blur. I saw a certain picture that I would like to learn how to get.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Freak_Out%2C_Oblivion%2C_night.jpg/495px-Freak_Out%2C_Oblivion%2C_night.jpg

and

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Long_exposure_at_the_fair.jpg/250px-Long_exposure_at_the_fair.jpg

An image like that where one part of the photograph is blurred and the rest is normal. I know something like this should be simple, but I'm quite confused actually. If you could give me all the information on what to set my aperture and shutter speed to to atleast get results where a certain part of a picture is blurred and the rest is normal would be great. Also, I can't seem to get a background or foreground blur on any of my pictures so if you could help me with that also, I would honestly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

I am using a Sony Cybershot DSC-H3.

SONYNUT
03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
low speed...tight aperature..tripod

griptape
03-10-2008, 05:06 AM
^What he said. Shutter speed of around a second (give or take), low ISO, and whatever aperture gives you the correct exposure from there. And of course you'll need a tripod.

Bynx
03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
In both pics the objects in motion have coloured lights. Using your flash will illuminate the foreground normally but using a slower shutter speed of around 1/10th of a second will keep the shutter open longer than the flash and record the moving light. So its the comination of flash and lit object that creates a real interesting photo. By the way, the speed of the lit object(s) will determine the actual shutter speed you need to use to show the movement.

lovrin
03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Thank you for your help guys.
I have one last question though, I know this should be easy to newcomer photographers but I'm having a bit of trouble doing it.
I can't seem to get a background or foreground blur on any of my pictures so if you could help me with that also, I would honestly appreciate it.

Spookonthe8ball
03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
lovrin - To get background blurr or Bokeh it requires a large aperture. 2.8 for instance. Unfortunately for most point & shoot cameras the sensor size equals around a f/11 on a dslr optically when they are set to 2.8.
That is why I use both types of cameras. You can get a equivelant f/64 on a point & shoot 35mm equivilant that isn't normally possible with a larger sensor DSLR. I can use Macro on my Fuji S6000 point & shoot on a close shot and get some bokeh effect. I'll post a example of this. I use my Xti at 2.8 and can get bokeh ( or out of focus background / forground) at any focal length. That is a reason for many wild pictures I have made that have a strange depth of field. Don't feel intimidated by this because we all have been there and it takes a lot of practice to understand aperture size in relation to depth of field depending on what camera we are using.
Spook

Fuji S6000 with one of the larger sensors for a point & shoot, but I have to use macro to get this effect. With a DSLR that has a larger sensor this can be a much smoother bokeh with or without using macro. I hope this answers your question and leads you to more questions. Welcome to the world of photography:eek: