PDA

View Full Version : Which exposure mode?

plong
03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I usually shoot in Auto or Program mode on my D70s. I'm thinking about just shooting in Manual mode, getting used to it again. What mode(s) do you use and when?

It seems like I took the best photos back in the 70's with my 35mm Petri completely manual SLR. I chose the film ISO, focused, and set the aperture and shutter speed. Family was always griping at me for taking too long to take the picture, whereas now I can take one in Auto or Program mode on my D70s without a thought. For the most part, the photos are okay, some even pretty darn good (especially after post production), but I've lost too much control over the end result. I guess I'm lazy.

Rooz
03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
i only use manual when shooting with flash, othereise i use aperture priority most of the time which is basically a semi automatic mode. why dont you try that first ? that way you can set the aperture you want to achieve the depth of field you're after and the cam does the rest.

remember that selecting the metering mode can also have a pretty dramatic effect on your images aswell in many cases.

SONYNUT
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
most everything

btuner
03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
i set everything to how i liked it best on p mode so i pretty much always use that

mumbles420
03-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm with Rooz. The only time I use manual mode is when I use flash or shoot night photography.

TheWengler
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Aperture priority for landscapes and portraits. Manual for long exposure and flash.

Beowulff
03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Aperture priority for critical DoF stuff.

Shutter priority for kids/sports/BiF etc.

Full manual if I've got the time..... or the inclination lol.

Cheers :)