PDA

View Full Version : Micro drives

whirnot
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I am considering one of the high capacity micro drives. Does it slow anything down such as multiple burst shots? :confused:

Rhys
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I am considering one of the high capacity micro drives. Does it slow anything down such as multiple burst shots? :confused:

No but they're unreliable and when they break (which they do) you lose all your photos. They also gobble power wheras a solid-state CF card will consume only 5% of the power the microdrive uses. Or to put it another way, the microdrive gobbles 20 times the power.

Why go for a microdrive when 1gb, 2gb and 4gb CF cards are available? 1gb is quite cheap now.

UberVamp44
01-16-2005, 06:39 PM
I was wondering the same there but I havent been able to find a site selling micro drives and was wondering if eny body knew of one

drbobgold
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
No but they're unreliable and when they break (which they do) you lose all your photos. They also gobble power wheras a solid-state CF card will consume only 5% of the power the microdrive uses. Or to put it another way, the microdrive gobbles 20 times the power.

Why go for a microdrive when 1gb, 2gb and 4gb CF cards are available? 1gb is quite cheap now.
I bought a 1GB IBM microdrive for my Fuji S602Z, and it worked for about a year. It failed without warning, and I replaced it with a Transcend 1GB CF card. It worked for six months, then failed suddenly. Camera says CARD NOT INITIALIZED, and when I try to format it, the message is CARD ERROR.
Even so, my card reader read all of the pictures and data on the card. The camera still works with the SmartMedia card. Fuji says that it is a card problem, and that they never intended to have the camera used with CF (even though it worked better than microdrive for six months). Transcend says it is a camera problem. I am stuck in the middle.

D70FAN
01-20-2005, 05:19 AM

It's too bad that Microdrives have such a mixed track record in cameras, but they do. Even the pros wanted to like them but in the end they are using high capacity CF cards.

Now, with 1GB CF cards available for under $50 (on-sale with rebate) there is no point in putting your photos at risk.

MobstaJ
01-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I have read so many bad reviews on various sites about microdrives I would avoid them if I had the choice. I've heard of problems with overheating to problems with slow write speeds to the worst, the sudden and unexpected data loss. They're just so much more delicate than a flash card, too many moving parts.

ktixx
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I solved the issue of storage space by purchasing a 1gb CF ultra card (which can hold 200 JPEGS). If I am on vacation, or in a situation where I will be shooting a lot of pictures, I have an RCA RD2780 (portable mp4 player with 20GB hard drive + CF reader) for the price of 3 high speed CF cards ($250) I now have 20GB of storage space.

MobstaJ
01-22-2005, 11:27 PM
That's cool. I know you can get media readers for the ipod too but it costs extra.

Jeff Keller
01-23-2005, 11:01 AM
I had two Microdrives die about a year after I bought them. I won't be buying them again.

Samuel Lo
02-13-2005, 11:09 AM
I had two Microdrives die about a year after I bought them. I won't be buying them again.

I'm lucky! I have 2 IBM 1GB microdrives which bought about 3 years ago, but they still work fine today. But after hearing so many bad experiences from you, I only use the 1GB CF cards instead of the microdrives. It's right: don't take your photos to a risk! I can't imagine if one day after a shooting job and I read the message: Card ERROR!

Thanks!