PDA

View Full Version : Coolpix image file naming convention

jgrape
01-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I have 3500 or so images from my old Coolpix 2500 scattered in three or four computers. All have names set by the camera, eg DSCNXXXX. Now I have a new Coolpix 3700 and find it assigns the same names to image files. I'm used to dealing with my cameras as mass storage devices; it is much faster to not use Nikon's software. Now I'm facing image file naming conflicts for the next 3500 photos. This can be a real pain during file management and backup.

Is it possible to change the camera's file naming convention? Start with a number other than one or drop one of the letters in DSCN, for example?

Rhys
01-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I have 3500 or so images from my old Coolpix 2500 scattered in three or four computers. All have names set by the camera, eg DSCNXXXX. Now I have a new Coolpix 3700 and find it assigns the same names to image files. I'm used to dealing with my cameras as mass storage devices; it is much faster to not use Nikon's software. Now I'm facing image file naming conflicts for the next 3500 photos. This can be a real pain during file management and backup.

Is it possible to change the camera's file naming convention? Start with a number other than one or drop one of the letters in DSCN, for example?

I have two Nikons and find the file-names conflict. My solutions was to group the day's shooting in a folder under the day's date. Then if I used two nikons that day I'd create two subfolders under that date and set one lot of images into folder a and the other into folder b. That's my solution. Then I put the days into CD-sized folders. Then I put the CD-sized folders into DVD-sized folders. So it's easy to burn CDs and DVDs of my photos.

Currently they're stored on my server (with regular backups) on a RAID system.

yankeedam
03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Just about every file manager (I use freeware instead of Bill Gates's tools) in Windows and DOS (remember?) has a tool to rename files in groups -- hundreds at a time if you wish. It is silly to ask for a filename changer inside a camera, which is still in the 1985 Commodore class when it comes to computer flexibility. So do the renaming on your bigger, smarter machine. But whenever you do, immediately write and store a text file in the same directory, naming it something like 111-NAME.txt so it will be at the top alphabetically. In that file, explain what you have done. That way, if you want to use some old software or the old camera to work on an old image, two years later when the specifics are out of your memory, you'll be able to rename it if need be.

Andy Browne
03-08-2005, 05:07 AM
I rename all my pix when I sump them to the PC. I use ACDSee as my organization tool. It also does wonderful basic cleanup... far superior to the software that comes bundled with my CX4800.

dwig
03-08-2005, 07:08 AM
I normally do not copy the image _files_ from my Nikon's cards. Instead, I copy the folder that contains them. Once copied, I rename the folder using an appropriate date in ISO format, YYYYMMDD. I add a letter to the end if there are more than one such copy (e.g. 2 cards full of images) in a given day. This avoids naming conflicts and follow more closely the film (neg and slide) numbering system that I started using 40 some odd years ago.

Andy Browne
03-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Naming a folder does me little good. I integrate the majority of my pictures into video montages. Naming my pix allows me to speed up the video editing process.