PDA

View Full Version : $1 image stabilizer

btuner
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
pretty neat idea i came across for a cheap "image stabilizer" thats supposed to help out if you forget your tripod or in places were you cant use one. I rigged one up and it seemed to help, i was hand held shooting 1/1.3s shots that weren't blurry in the least
www.techamok.com/?pid=3974

TheWengler
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
JTL mentioned this set up awhile ago but I haven't tried it. Looks like it could be nice for the church/museum shots where there's no flash or tripod allowed.

btuner
02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
yeah i was surprised with how well it worked, its defiantly going in my bag lol

Rooz
02-29-2008, 01:39 AM
very interesting. thanks for the link.

tfa8rva
02-29-2008, 09:04 AM
That's pretty cool. Thanks.

bauerman
02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Someone is going to perfect this, market it and make a fortune. Looks like a good idea.

JLV
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I have posted this on this forum a number of times. It is a little different from the one mentioned here.

I use a 1/4 x 20 bolt inserted in the tripod socket on the camera. To that I have attached a one foot wire. (I am using fishing leader wire. I think twisted picture hanging wire would also work). To the loop I made at the outer end of the
wire, I attach a shock cord. I step on the end of the cord and pull up. The pressure helps steady the hand.

CNI Dawg
03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
pretty neat idea i came across for a cheap "image stabilizer" thats supposed to help out if you forget your tripod or in places were you cant use one. I rigged one up and it seemed to help, i was hand held shooting 1/1.3s shots that weren't blurry in the least
www.techamok.com/?pid=3974

A Scout is Thrifty !

Leave it to an Eagle Scout to come up with a simple, inexpensive solution that works well !

The washer looks like the ones we used in the washer toss game @ summer camp :D:D:D

FLiPMaRC
03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
:cool: Interesting :)

Opensourcer
03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
It's a great idea and I bet this will become a market solution!
I think the stability is maximal if the angle between the cord and the ground is 45 degrees. If it's less, you'll get higher horizontal, but lower vertical stability, and vice versa if it's more than 45 degrees. So I guess it's best to spread your feet a little to get the cord-to-ground angle closer to 45 degrees, unless you're picturing fast moving objects.
Another approach could be making the cord shorted, and attaching some kind of weight to the end of the cord to that the camera is heavier (and more steady).
Hmm, I just thought about something else. How about attaching two cords instead of one to the bolt, and then their ends to your shoes, or below your ankles somehow? :D