PDA

View Full Version : Question about ISO

MD_Cookie
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, so first let me apologize for what I think may be a pretty silly question and also if this has been addressed before.

What is the benefit of a high ISO...I know that the higher the ISO the more noise...specifically in low light. I also know that ISO refers to the "speed" of the film. However in good lighting (and a digital camera) what does the high ISO do for me? I've been keeping my camera at 80 or 100 and my pictures seem fine to me.

Thanks for the help!

David Metsky
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
In good light you don't need high ISO, and you shouldn't be using it. In bright sun use the lowest ISO number you can.

High ISO is critical when you are shooting in low light, or even moderate light when you don't want to use a flash. With some cameras (especially dSLRs) the higher ISO performance is very good and you won't see any noise until you are up at very high values/very low light.

In practical terms, the ability to push to higher ISO means that you can use a faster shutter speed and still get enough light to take the image. That allows you to freeze the action, something you couldn't do at a lower ISO.