PDA

View Full Version : Zuiko Glas with DSLR

seabrookjohn
02-23-2008, 09:04 AM
I am still working up to jumping in the DSLR game after shooting an OM-2 for over 20 years. ( I posted earlier in a general forum, but have been slowed down due to some unexpected medical/dental work.)
I have some good Zuiko glass that I would love to continue to use. I have read in some of the forums that with the propoer adapters I can use that glass with the new generation of Olympus DSLR's. I am looking at either a 510 or the new E-3.
Any experience out there with using old Olympus lenses on these cameras/ What issues did you run into?
What restrictions should I expect?
Oh yeah the lenses I would like to reuse include
300mm f4.5
28mm f3.5
85mm f2
24mm f2.8
Thanks for your input.

kgosden
02-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, all your lenses effectively double in focal length. You can get a MF-1 OM adapter from Olympus and use all the lenses. They will be fully manual focus and you may have some metering and aperture restrictions. I have an OM 35mm shift lens I use occasionally on my E510 without much difficulty. Overall I think that you will find the kit lenses are better than most of your existing glass and lighter as well. The 85mm f2 might be nice if it is macro capable. And on either body the 300mm f4.5 will give you a decent 600mm focal length equivalent, but it might be tough to manually focus a dark lens on the E510. The E3 has a much better view finder so that might be ok. The latest firmware for both bodies will let you use the IS with your old lenses as well.

seabrookjohn
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I guess lens design has come a long way in 20+ years.
Thanks

Razr
03-02-2008, 06:18 AM
I guess lens design has come a long way in 20+ years.
Thanks
Not for quality glass it hasn't. While most modern lenses are 100% computer designed and constructed, traditionally designed and constructed "Legacy" lenses, to include "fast"/professional lenses, still produce sparkling images.
Then there are those legendary Leica "R" lenses you can shoot on all your 4/3rds bodies.

While I agree a few OM Zuiko zoom lenses are as much dogs now as they were then, others of them are astonishingly good.

acs
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I think the 28mm and the 24mm are a bit boring. I'd swap them both for a 50mm f1.4 and have a really fast short tele. Just the ticket for indoors and portraits, if a bit sharp. Or the 135mm f2.8 maybe. My e400 lives with a 50mm f1.8 on the front.

The 300mm f4.5 will be a handful to focus and hold steady (does it have a tripod bracket?). But I've seen some very good reports of this lens used on a DSLR, I'd go for it for this lens alone (but then I like telephoto shots, and don't mind a gamble).

This guy: http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html knows more about using old glass than you want to know! But you might be encouraged to take a look at what he says.

seo
03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
If you like wide angle shooting, a 4/3 system is probably not the way to go. I would look for an APS or full framed sensor. Your 24 and 28 on a 4/3 Dslr become "normal" lenses.

acs
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
On zooms: yeah, they vary. But take a look at this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94623823@N00/2162688280/sizes/l/)
Not a classic but I like it. Shan't be getting rid of my 65-200 any time soon!

Razr
03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
I think the 28mm and the 24mm are a bit boring. I'd swap them both for a 50mm f1.4 and have a really fast short tele. Just the ticket for indoors and portraits, if a bit sharp. Or the 135mm f2.8 maybe. My e400 lives with a 50mm f1.8 on the front.

The 300mm f4.5 will be a handful to focus and hold steady (does it have a tripod bracket?). But I've seen some very good reports of this lens used on a DSLR, I'd go for it for this lens alone (but then I like telephoto shots, and don't mind a gamble).

This guy: http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html knows more about using old glass than you want to know! But you might be encouraged to take a look at what he says.
Excellent site: Thanks

Razr
03-18-2008, 06:38 AM
If you like wide angle shooting, a 4/3 system is probably not the way to go. I would look for an APS or full framed sensor. Your 24 and 28 on a 4/3 Dslr become "normal" lenses.
Yah, but those of us who choose to shoot 4/3rds have mostly discounted using wide angle "legacy" lenses on 4/3rds bodies in order to achieve a wide angle view.
*But then, we do have our own new, FAST 4/3rds wide angle and normal Olympus Zuiko lenses.

seabrookjohn
03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks all for your comments. Based on my old glass (and my Olympus prejudices) I have purchased an E510. I had my sights on an E-3 but my darling bride found out she needed mutiple crowns. I will have to wait on the E-3 (at least for now!)
Great site btw.

suprgnat
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Yah, but those of us who choose to shoot 4/3rds have mostly discounted using wide angle "legacy" lenses on 4/3rds bodies in order to achieve a wide angle view.
*But then, we do have our own new, FAST 4/3rds wide angle and normal Olympus Zuiko lenses.

Uh, yeh. 7-14mm is on its way! No slouch on the wide side!