PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Use Durability D70vsEOS20D

pixartist
01-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I have been a pro wedding shooter for over 20 years, this spring finally making the jump to digital 35mm slr. Anybody have comments/experience/knowledge re the durability of the D70 vs the newer Canon 20D? Have tried several bodies, own a Coolpix 5200 but am still unsure of which SLR's to get for the wedding business. Thank you!

Rhys
01-06-2005, 02:12 PM
I have been a pro wedding shooter for over 20 years, this spring finally making the jump to digital 35mm slr. Anybody have comments/experience/knowledge re the durability of the D70 vs the newer Canon 20D? Have tried several bodies, own a Coolpix 5200 but am still unsure of which SLR's to get for the wedding business. Thank you!

If you're going to do big pictures then you don't want a D70 or a 20D. Look instead at Kodak's DSLRs. They're 11 - 14 megapixelsish and come in Canon and Nikon fitting.

D70FAN
01-06-2005, 03:21 PM

Actually either would work well, but you might also want to consider the new Fuji S3. I have talked to a couple of wedding photographers that like the extra dynamic range of the S2, and the S3 is supposed to be an improvement on that camera using the Super CCD II. I have panned the consumer version of this sensor in the past (deservedly so), but the APS-C sized version makes sense, and apparently works.

I do know both Canon and Nikon photographers (on a budget) that do weddings and use the DReb and the D70 respectively. The shots I've seen are every bit as good as 35mm film up to 13 x 19.

Since the 20D is housed in a more rugged case it would probably withstand a little more abuse, but it would be a coin-toss as to overall durability in terms of mechanical stress. That virtue is generally proven via a test of time which none of these cameras has acheived.

My personal experience is: After 8 months with some raindrops, dust storms, and shooting in 110 degree temperatures I can report that the D70 works fine. I must admit that when I shoot in the rain I use a ziplock bag to keep the body relatively dry. It still gets a little wet, sometimes, but not soaked.

Hope this helps.