PDA

View Full Version : Sports

sstew
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
My main purpose for buying a DSLR is for taking pictures of my boys playing soccer. Will I be happy with the E-510 for this purpose? I want to make sure this camera will be able to get me out on the field and be fast enough to stop the action. Any advise?

cat
02-19-2008, 12:54 AM
A prosumer cam is fast enough to stop the action. I took all these with a Canon S2 http://www.snappycat.co.uk/Football_Menu.html . Having just purchased my first DSLR I can't say I'll be letting the S2 go either - it's lighter, more portable ( easily hidden! ) and I can't yet afford a lens capable of the focal range of my Canon! Problems with the Canon were I couldn't achieve a shallow enough DOF at the extreme end of the zoom and high enough shutter speed in low light. Other prosumer cams are better at this mind.

So yes the E510 is good enough - but a lot of lower spec cameras would be as well!!!!

e_dawg
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, it should be fine.

The E-510 is not set up for great performance out of the box, so you should know how to maximize its performance by tweaking a few settings. For example, turn off the Noise Filter, use Natural mode and reduce the Contrast to -2 and Sharpness to -2 or -1.

Furthermore, the 3-point AF system is not advanced enough to just allow you to blindly shoot, so it would probably be best for you to select the centre AF point only and learn the "focus and recompose" technique for best results.

Also, instead of using the built-in sports mode, it would be preferable to learn how to use "S mode", otherwise known as shutter priority, and set the camera's ISO (sensitivity) manually, as the Auto ISO feature only goes up to 400.

How far away are you sitting when taking pics of your boy playing soccer? Indoor/outdoor? Daytime or night? How much light is there on the field usually? That will help determine the type of lens you'll need (focal length and lens speed).

sstew
02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you both for your input. Most games are outdoors, in the afternoon. I am able to walk the sidelines, but not behind the net. I appreciate the info on the settings and will write this down for when I make the big purchase. I have read numerous reviews and soccer season is fast approaching so I need make up my mind soon. Do you think the 40-150 kit lens will be enough?

sstew
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Cat--Checked out your soccer, sorry football, pictures. That's what I'm looking for. Oh, by the way, we are considering coming across the pond to see an English Premier League game or two in the fall.

Thanks again.

cat
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Well can thoroughly recommend the Villa - heck even Tom Hanks supports them :D

My photos were all taken with the S2 which has a 12x built in zoom. Perhaps someone can tell me what that equates to in 'proper' lens terms! I was certainly at the extreme end of it in most shots.

David Metsky
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
12x doesn't translate to anything directly; it's just a measure of minumum focal length to maximum.

The S2 has the equivalent of a 36 to 432mm lens. Since the Olympus E-510 has a crop factor of 2x, you'll need a 216mm lens to achieve a similar result. The kit lens only is 150mm (300mm after the crop factor) so it's not quite as much zoom to get you close to the action. The difference between 432mm and 300mm is noticeable.