PDA

View Full Version : E1 again

elder
01-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi! I have the money! :D ...and I still :confused: between E1 and Nikon D70
But just one more information can end it. Did anybody use extension tube with the 18-54 lence? Is that works? Can use that combination for macros.if that is ok I can save 400 and E1 will be mine!
Thanks again :)

timberlake
01-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I just bought an E-1 and still have an OM-2 system that I plan to keep!

Olympus will lock you into their lenses or at least the new 4/3 format mount.

I finally decided that taking the plunge into digi cams is worth changing systems completely. Adapting any digital body to 35mm lenses is a compromise no mattar how you want to argue it. Olympus makes a big deal about true digi lenses focusing the light parallel the the CCD array and when you think about it it really makes sense.

Best advise is "follow your heart"

This comes from someone who sold cameras for about 15 years and can see through all the manufactured hype.

If you plan to go digi take the plunge, don't wade in!

Hope this helps,

M. Timberlake Orr

D70FAN
01-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi! I have the money! :D ...and I still :confused: between E1 and Nikon D70
But just one more information can end it. Did anybody use extension tube with the 18-54 lence? Is that works? Can use that combination for macros.if that is ok I can save 400€ and E1 will be mine!
Thanks again :)

I don't get it.

What makes the E-1 so desirable? Is it the so-so performance above ISO800? The lack of built in speedlight? A fairly meager selection of overpriced lenses (and non available with IS)? A 5MP sensor?

Seriously, this camera had the promise of greatness and I would love for this camera to be worth the asking price, but, with the exception of the 4/3 format, somehow I have missed the reason for buying one.

elder
01-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I can by E1+14-54 for 1000 and D70+18-70 will cost me 1200 + I still be missing macro objective. Extension tube for E1 cost about 130 and if it work with 14-54 I will have 28-108 + macro for cca 1130. Nikon D70 +28-105 + used macro will cost me cca 1500. For me this is a good reason.

Ant
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't get it.

What makes the E-1 so desirable? Is it the so-so performance above ISO800? The lack of built in speedlight? A fairly meager selection of overpriced lenses (and non available with IS)? A 5MP sensor?

Seriously, this camera had the promise of greatness and I would love for this camera to be worth the asking price, but, with the exception of the 4/3 format, somehow I have missed the reason for buying one.

I know what you mean. I was using an Olympus C750uz when I decided to upgrade to a DSLR. Apart from the speed, or lack thereof, I was really pleased with my C750 so the E-1 was high on my list and I really wanted one, but there was no way I could justify it. The D70 was far more of a camera for quite a bit less money.

The only real advantage the E-1 has is the professional build quality, which the D70 doesn't have; so when it starts tipping down with rain I have to put my D70 back in my pack, whereas with the E-1s weatherproofing I could keep on shooting.

Elder, where are you getting your prices from? over here in the Uk the E-1 is still a fair bit more expensive than the D70. I don't know how yours works out cheaper.

elder
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi!
In Croatia (and some other countries like Slovenia) Olympus sell E1 kit for 7550kn (1000) but only for students. And we are from Balkan (you probably have heard what monstera we are) ;) ...we just take ours shotguns and catch our little student and he buy E1 for us :D
OK,OK, If you forget the shotgun, rest is corect (and the monster pert, maybe :) )

Ant
01-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Ah, student discount. I've heard about that. Pretty good deal if you can get it :)

I must visit your part of the world some day. My uncle used to be a coach driver for a holiday company, he drove everywhere in Europe from Poland to Portugal, from Scotland to southern Italy and he always said that the balkans were his favourite part of Europe.....that was all before the wars of course. ;) :)

D70FAN
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I can by E1+14-54 for 1000 and D70+18-70 will cost me 1200 + I still be missing macro objective. Extension tube for E1 cost about 130 and if it work with 14-54 I will have 28-108 + macro for cca 1130. Nikon D70 +28-105 + used macro will cost me cca 1500. For me this is a good reason.

Thanks for the answer. So cost, not value, seems to be the driving factor. Fair enough.

Why not just buy a Canon A75 for macro shots and forget about using a dSLR for this function? From what I recall the minimum focal distance in macro function for the E-1 is 24cm. For the A75 its 5cm. And you get a nice jacket-pocket camera as well. ;)

The reason I still use my Nikon 990 is exactly for this purpose (macro).

elder
01-07-2005, 12:16 PM
And do you think that I can come to butterfly at 5 cm?
With macro objective at E1 I can get same photo from 4-5x longer distance.

And to Ant: Hi! When you come to Croatia (Hrvatska), motherland of tie (cravate), don`t say that we are on the Balkan. Some people (many of them actualy) don`t like to mix us with other nations from Balkan . They don`t understand that you can`t understand why (because thay dont understand diference between England and Britany or UK). Actually Croatia is just partially on the Balkan, but that isn`t the reason. We are always been on the European border (and protect Europe from Turks) and coulture of living in Croatia was always been strongly conect with Austria and Italy, but every country near us try tu cut a peace of our land sometime in the past :( . A few centuries ago Croatia was 2xbigger. But we aren`t united enought to build our Kingdom like England or France and now we are where we are :o . Because of that don` mention Balkan and everybody will accept you with :D (except policemans :)

Rhys
01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I like the idea of the E1 but have the feeling that full-frame digital cameras are not far around the corner. Perhaps it's worth waiting before diving into strange, manufacturer only systems.

D70FAN
01-08-2005, 12:53 PM
And do you think that I can come to butterfly at 5 cm?
With macro objective at E1 I can get same photo from 4-5x longer distance.

I think you are confusing macro with close-ups. Macro means that you can focus on a subject that is very close (about 5cm or so) to the lens. Close-up means that you can zoom in on the subject from a non-intrusive distance.

For SLR's (film or digital) Macro (or Micro) lenses have a minimum focus distance of around 8 inches or about 20cm. My Sigma 18-125 can focus down to about 19 inches, so for a butterfly type shot, zoomed in, it would work fine since the aparent distance (at 19inches) would be about 7.6 inches. If you wanted to get really close you could use a 70-300mm zoom where the aparent distance would be about 3 inches. I use 50mm as a neutral zoom point, so 300mm = 6X zoom from neutral.

Anyway, have fun with that E-1. If that's the camera you like then that's the camera you shoud get. :)

elder
01-09-2005, 12:22 AM
I can wait much longer. I`m not interested in full-format digital. 12mpix is enought to me and Nikon have one (D2X). In the future they will incorporate that sensor in the cheaper camera and I will be :) . And the money is always a big deal. . .except for the Michael Shumacher of Donald Trump and :rolleyes:
But I dont understand why are you so unhappy when I mention E1. I saw many exelent photos from that camera, and 8mpix is present time (the high of the photos at same ppi is equal to cca 9mpix APS sensor). Only bad thing about E1 or E300 is one step slower acceptoble ISO speed. At ISO 400 pictures are very nice, noise is very close to noice from D70. But at ISO 800 E1 is almost unusable and D70 can get useful fotos. . .and E1 don`t have AS/VR/IS objectives. . .and if they will have they probably will be very expencive. . .but Nikkors VR are very eypencive to.

D70FAN
01-09-2005, 05:52 AM
I can wait much longer. I`m not interested in full-format digital. 12mpix is enought to me and Nikon have one (D2X). In the future they will incorporate that sensor in the cheaper camera and I will be :) . And the money is always a big deal. . .except for the Michael Shumacher of Donald Trump and :rolleyes:
But I dont understand why are you so unhappy when I mention E1. I saw many exelent photos from that camera, and 8mpix is present time (the high of the photos at same ppi is equal to cca 9mpix APS sensor). Only bad thing about E1 or E300 is one step slower acceptoble ISO speed. At ISO 400 pictures are very nice, noise is very close to noice from D70. But at ISO 800 E1 is almost unusable and D70 can get useful fotos. . .and E1 don`t have AS/VR/IS objectives. . .and if they will have they probably will be very expencive. . .but Nikkors VR are very eypencive to.

Actually the E-1 is not a bad camera per-se. In fact with the exception of the E-300 I would always recommend a dSLR, of almost any brand, over a high end all-in-one. I am only questioning the value.

You are definately correct that Nikons VR lenses are ridiculously expensive, a point not lost on D70 owners, and definately a sore spot as well.

Note: Since the Konica-Minolta 7D has AS built in to the camera sensor it doesn't affect the lens price.

It seems that you like the E-1, so that is the camera you should buy. I think it is a nice looking camera, but in your original message you were trying to decide between the E-1 and the D70, so i was just throwing in my opinion.

Let us know how this comes out. :)

elder
01-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi George! I don`t mix macro and close ups. In you answer before you confirm my words. Macro objective (105 macro) can take a same sized picture from 4-5X longer distance. Only the Minolta A1 (maybe some other to, but I wasn`t been intrested in it) can take a nice macro shot (cca 5cm wide field) from 13cm. All other serious PS cameras must be much closer to catch such small area. Whit SLR and macro I can take 3cm wide field on the picture from 20-30cm.
...and I am not stick to the E1. . .just didn`t cross it. And KM D7D is in game now. . .If I don`t By camera in next two months I will enter the shop, close my eyes and pich one :p Whish me luck :D
Enjoy

D70FAN
01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi George! I don`t mix macro and close ups. In you answer before you confirm my words. Macro objective (105 macro) can take a same sized picture from 4-5X longer distance. Only the Minolta A1 (maybe some other to, but I wasn`t been intrested in it) can take a nice macro shot (cca 5cm wide field) from 13cm. All other serious PS cameras must be much closer to catch such small area. Whit SLR and macro I can take 3cm wide field on the picture from 20-30cm.
...and I am not stick to the E1. . .just didn`t cross it. And KM D7D is in game now. . .If I don`t By camera in next two months I will enter the shop, close my eyes and pich one :p Whish me luck :D
Enjoy

OK... Good Luck. And let us know what happens. :)