PDA

View Full Version : Sigma DP-1: Any Interest???

erichlund
02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Here's a link: Sigma DP1 (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/cameras/dp1_features.asp)

So, anyone else got any feelings about the Sigma DP1. It's 14 mp Foveon sensor is about 77% of the area of an APS-C with a 28mm equivalent (35mm) lens. The only real sticking point for me is the lack of a built in viewfinder. There is an optional viewfinder that mounts on the hot shoe, but I'd much rather see one built in. I don't have any idea yet what the price is going to be like.

If I had my druthers, things I would certainly want to change:
Viewfinder (prefer rangefinder), lens speed (f2.8 or better),

Things I might want to change:
35mm equivalent rather than 28mm. Seems more useful to me, though the ability to go wider is nice, you can always crop. I can easily be talked out of this one. CF rather than SD, but I can live with it. New, high res type screen (why are new cameras still being introduced with 230000 dot screens???).

Notice, I didn't make any mention of the sensor type. The Foveon is a good sensor, though the processing engines it's been attached to have always been a bit slow. This is not a speed demon camera, but I don't think anyone expects it to be.

I look forward to seeing if this generates competition. I hope so.

bascom
02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks good to me but I wonder about the price. $500? $1,000?

Rooz
02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I look forward to seeing if this generates competition. I hope so.

thats the only thing that appeals to me in this story. the concept is pretty cool. but no VF ? come on.

erichlund
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Imaging Resource is saying pricing is not firm, but under $1000. Of course, $999.99 is under $1000. ;)

Like I say, I'm more interested in seeing what competition this generates, because I don't want a camera without a viewfinder, and a shoe mounted VF is just a little too Rube Goldberg for my taste.

I'm not sure I understand such high pricing. A D40/D80 kit gives you more flexibility for less money. I expect to see someone introduce something that really challenges this. A well thought out, fixed lens camera with a large sensor, good image quality. I could go $600. It would have to be exceptional to go above that.

Rooz
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
i thought i saw ricoh announce soemthing similar not too long ago ?
the price is a bit of a joke really. for that price i'd take an xsi without blinking an eye and still have change for beer.

erichlund
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Ricoh has the GR-II, which looks similar (uncannily so, even down to the shoe mounted VF), but it is a much smaller sensor. The 5.9mm focal length converts to 28mm equivalent, where the Sigma is a 16.6mm focal length to convert to the same 28mm equiv.

Nickcanada
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM
You have to give Sigma a hand for making this though. They really like filling in the holes other companies leave don't they! First 2.8 fisheye for a crop sensor, the super wide 12-24mm designed for FF, the 200-500mm 2.8, the 20mm 1.8. etc.... I love it!

Sure it's list price is high but wait until we see what the price on the street is. I would definitely buy a portable fixed FL P&S camera... but why 28mm? why not 50mm? and I do agree F4 is way too slow for a fixed FL lens, but this is a start! Lets see where it goes!

I really wonder how this would compete in the P&S market where everything is MP this and zoom that! I think the only people that would buy a camera like this are people who own DSLRs... and that makes you wonder why they didn't make it CF compatible!

Nickcanada
02-01-2008, 03:29 PM
i thought i saw ricoh announce soemthing similar not too long ago ?
the price is a bit of a joke really. for that price i'd take an xsi without blinking an eye and still have change for beer.

Lets see you fit that XSI in your pocket! :D

Nickcanada
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
This is the most interesting release so far!

Rooz
02-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Lets see you fit that XSI in your pocket! :D

i tell you what, i wonder side by side with just say a 50mm f1.8 on the xsi, just how much bigger it is. the sigma looks compact sure, but is it really "pocketable" ? i dont know.

dont get me wrong, good idea. interesting new avenue but right now its too expensive and cameras like the xsi are just too good for the money.

cdifoto
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I'll take a 150 dollar A570IS over that thing any day.

erichlund
02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
You would think with current technology and it's larger sensor size, that high ISO would be a strength. However, it tops out at ISO 800. At ISO 800, I would expect it to be pristine. A single focal length lens paired to a dedicated sensor. That means the light coming in is always at the same set of angles and is perfectly predicatable. They should have been able to optimize the each pixel to capture the light as accurately as possible, similar to how Leica optized the M8.

The fact that this thing doesn't have relatively clean ISO 3200 is very disappointing.

cdifoto
02-02-2008, 06:03 AM
To me, it reads like a P&S with an APS-C sensor for the sake of being a P&S with an APS-C sensor - not any kind of breakthrough technology or pocketable camera with dSLR qualities.

TheObiJuan
02-02-2008, 12:18 PM
This thing has been over a year in the works and yet I still see nothing improved on it.
Anyone know why such a delay?
The foveon sensors have always had poor ISO performance and that's too bad.
I'm eager to see a review with photographic tests.

erichlund
02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
There's a link on the other thread about this camera to the letter from Sigma explaining the delay. Basically, they went back to the drawing board. Frankly, I'm not sure what the design was that they didn't like, but I'm afraid that the specs are not very strong, and I don't think they did a very good job. This is not going to drive competition very hard, and that's what we want it to do.

I guess you can't expect too much, it's just Sigma. :p

erichlund
02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
DPReview did get a hold of the beta camera and took about 20 shots. Nice. Even at the highest ISO, 800, the shot looked reasonably clean. There is some noise, and it is a combination of luminance and chroma noise. Being a Nikon user, I'm used to the Noise Ninja Chroma controls having no affect on the image, so I was surprised when using chroma tools alone actually had an effect. Still, the image cleaned up quite nicely in NN.

timmciglobal
02-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not impressed at all.

When they put a 4/3 size sensor in an all-in-one S5 IS megazoom then it'll be a big deal until then a standard glorified P&S with 1 or 2 stops better ISO isn't worth it for a grand when you can buy a very nice entry level dSLR from pentax or olympus for 500$

Tim

TheObiJuan
02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
megazoom plus the 4/3rd's sensor-despite being miniscule- would still be HUGE.
I'd still like to see it! :)

cwphoto
02-04-2008, 05:37 AM
I like it. Kinda like a modern day Nikon 35Ti. :)