PDA

View Full Version : Advice on product photography

Paradox
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Well - long story short, my parents needed a couple of items photographed to go on Ebay. They know I'm the budding photographer of the household - So I got the job thrown at me. So, I quickly rigged something up, and shot these. Total time was about 15 minutes, from receiving the models to dispatching the photos - It was a quick job. But I wanted to see what you thought I could improve on anyway.

Things I'm aware of - Shadow of the train. Diffusion wasn't possible on this setup, because due to various circumstances all I had was two desk lamps. Also, the backdrop is also two sheets of A3 paper - Hence the faint line visible in the background. But for a setup that's essentially free - I'm quite happy with the results. :) Comments and criticism would be much appreciated. I know some of you have much more experience than I in this area.

Just as background - My parents own a model railway shop, that caters to the younger generations as well as the proper modelers - Net the customers while they're young. :p Hence the child's engines in question - We had a surplus of stock of these, and some can be shifted on Ebay since our website isn't properly running yet.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs23/i/2008/030/a/9/Product_Test_1_by_phenomenological.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs23/i/2008/030/7/1/Product_Test_2_by_phenomenological.jpg

kgosden
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks fine for eBay to me. Getting much better product type shots would probably require more money on lighting. However, you could spend 5 minutes in Photoshop and get rid of the shadows.

Paradox
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Well I've got a lighting kit planned, but not for a while. So for now, I'm limited to this improvised style. Thanks for the comment. :)

Squirt
01-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Good shots for what they are intended for. The first one looks to be a little under exposed to me.

ghost
01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
another desk lamp on the other side will also get rid of the shadows. I tried some product photos and I got all right results with the light coming from the same angle of the camera (very little shadows, but some odd reflections). just keep trying and waiting for your set up. your off to a great start!

Rhys
01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
White paper as reflectors is an excellent idea. I think you're on the right track there.

Here are some product shots I've just done. I used a pair of Canon speedlights and umbrellas. I'm still trying to get the lighting right...