PDA

View Full Version : New e500 owner - battery/accessories query

cat
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Well I thought my foray into the world of DSLR's would have to wait a good deal longer ( financial restrictions! ) but yesterday purchased an e500 for a rather bargainous 168 delivered! Cam comes with the standard kit lens.

Have had to buy a card ( my current camera, canon s2, took SD cards ) and now need batteries.

I've purchased a 2 gig Sandisk extreme 3 CF memory card which should keep me going for now but batteries are more confusing! What does everyone else use? Certainly when it came to my S2 I was of the opinion that not all rechargeable batteries are the same! Am half tempted by the ebay cheapies but swaying more towards the uniross equiv's, any good or should I just stick with olympus?

Also I made an utter mess of the LCD on my S2 so if anyone could recommend some kind of screen protector that would be good!

Lastly I have a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens that I used to use with my S2. I'm aware that you can use this with the e500 but not sure how! Do I need to purchase extension tubes? Also, at the risk of sounding an idiot, not sure how you go about focusing! with the S2 I had to use the LCD screen and rock the camera backwards and forwards until the subject looked in focus.... am aware that with a DSLR the LCD screen is just there to review images you have taken.. if anyone has any tips, or links to tips!, on using this camera with the Raynox that would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Phill D
01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I can't help with any of your questions Cat sorry but I saw a similar priced offer on digital depot's web site was that where you got it? I was tempted too but didn't in the end. I'd say you got a real bargain nice one Cat. I look forward to seeing some shots soon.

kgosden
01-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Cat,

I have several non-Olympus batteries and they have all behaved fine. However, I do not know what might be available in the UK.

As for you other questions, I think you may need a bit more assistance in learning about your new camera than can be learned through this type of site. I would recommend a local adult ed course (do they have those in the UK?) where you might have someone offer hands on time. There are certainly a large number of good basic DSLR books on the market as well.

Like most cameras, including your Canon S2, the E500 has autofocus. Basically when you look through the view finder and aim at your subject the camera will attempt to focus on the main item in the field of view at one of the focus points. this occurs when you half or fully depress the shutter button. This assumes that you have the camera set to autofocus mode and there is adequate light and contrast on the subject.

It sounds like your main focusing problem with the Canon was related to shooting closeups. The problem there was not really with the camera. You were likely trying to shoot right at the minimum focusing distance. In that instance moving the camera allowed you to get far enough away to allow the camera's autofocus to function. You will have similar situations with the E500 or any camera. Every lens has a minimum focusing distance. For DSLR's you can buy a macro lens which is designed around closeup photography. The Olympus 50mm macro is one of the best. You can certainly try to use the Raynox closeup filter/lens on the E500. It appears to be only a 49mm diameter lens which is much too small for the 58mm filter size of the Olympus. Extension tubes are a great and cost effective way to get closer for low cost. They also offer the benefit of not adding any additional glass between you and the subject. More glass is generally bad and lower quality glass like the Raynox is just a waste.

kgosden
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Oops, you had too many questions and I forgot about the LCD protector. I just use the standard stick on ones for Palms, PDA's, etc and I cut it to fit. Every few months I replace it with a new one.

Also, here is a pretty useful site http://wrotniak.net/photo/ run by Andrzej Wrotniak that is largely dedicated to Olympus cameras.

cat
01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Thank you for the answers!

Phill - I did indeed puchase from digital depot!

Camera should arrive today, card I ordered from Play so will take a little longer ( I shall 'borrow' one of my son's XD cards in the meantime as he has a Fuji )

kgosden - Unfortunately I don't think my local college runs photography courses - certainly not digital ones! I used a standard SLR when I was at college so not a total beginner. I also used my S2 on manual. My query re the Raynox is because I don't have the funds to purchase a 'proper' macro lens at this time. The focusing issue with the Raynox is primarily because the DOF is so narrow! I took these using it with the S2.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/472669737_ea664f64c7.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/208/455627895_afaf23f01f.jpg

I suspect I shall miss using the swivel screen as it allowed me to focus in awkward positions!

I've had a trawl of flickr and it would seem there are a few people using the Raynox with the e500 ( one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcroldan/204275708/ ) but unfortunately I don't speak spanish! ( although am currently learning bizarrly enough as the school I work in is twinned with a Spanish school! )

Will certainly check out Wrotniak's site!

stever06
01-31-2008, 08:59 AM
to the DSLR world. If your going to mess with the DCR250 with your E500, make sure you have a tripod. If I'm correct, the universal adapter fits 58mm so it'll fit directly to your lense. You'll use it mostly on the 40-150mm as it's a tele-macro lense. A recommended accessory would be the cable release so you don't muck the focus by touching the camera to shoot after locking on since the DOF is razor thin.

Happy shooting!

kgosden
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Cat,

Thanks for the excellent sample photos. It always helps to know what the user is trying to achieve when making suggestions. While generally a tripod and remote release are great for macro work, I doubt that they will be very useful since your subjects are typically in motion. Certainly you can adapt the Raynox for now with appropriate filter step up or down adapters. I think the biggest issue will be possible vignetting as the Raynox is much smaller than the 58mm diameter of the E500 kit lens. Even when you get into a real macro lens you will still be fighting the depth of field issue.

cat
01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Yep tripod is definitely out! I've tried in the past and just found it too restrictive, half the time the shots I'm taking are at arms length whilst leaning precariously over a pond!!!! It's one of the reasons why I liked the S2 so much - it's very light and the swivel LCD allowed me to get in odd positions.

re the Raynox - Vignetting was always an issue with the S2 as well. Used to have to zoom in quite a bit to avoid it and then of course my DOF became very VERY shallow! Ironically enough the damselfly pic was a mistake as I usually shot on f 8 and in that instance had forgotten to change the setting back from f 2.7!

Anyway back to the Olympus. Camera arrived today. Unfortunately whoever packed my camera neglected to put the lens in so haven't been able to play yet! Should get it tomorrow. The body is a lot lighter than I expected! Fits the hand nicely though and menu system appears fairly straight forward. One thing I did notice was no zoom button! I feel like I have a spare finger that I don't know what to do with :D Been years since I used an SLR but am sure it will all come flooding back!

Thank you so much for all the advice. I ended up purchasing a couple of the Uniross batteries as amazon had them for 8 each which didn't sound too bad, also went with the Uniross charger as it should allow for the inevitable upgrade at some point!!! Incidentally the lens that came ( or rather didn't but eventually willl! ) bundled with the camera was the 14-45mm... is the 40-150mm going to need to be my next purchase? I tend to just do macro stuff and football!!!!! ( am totally aware we are not talking the same lenses for those!!!! )

kgosden
01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I would probably get the 50mm macro first. But for sports even the kit telephoto lens might not be long or fast enough. You can often find the kit lenses for good deals used since some people sell them off when they upgrade.

Phill D
01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Cat you did extra well as all the cheap E500's have gone from the website now. Hope you get your lens soon though.

cat
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Fingers crossed it will arrive tomorrow so I can have a play with it at the weekend :D

Should keep your eye on the site though Phill as offer was already removed once and reappeared a few days later....

cat
02-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Just a quick update - lens arrived yesterday. Have been really happy with this purchase as camera looked brand new ( barr the thumbprint on the LCD screen! ) and the lens was still sealed in its original wrapping so had never been touched. Received all of the manuals, leads strap etc despite statement on site suggesting these might be missing. Also managed to pick up a Uniross Li-Ion charger on clearance from flash memory yesterday - for a little over a fiver!

Keep your eye on the site Phill - they might reappear and imo are well worth it!

cat
02-03-2008, 08:58 AM
First couple of test shots. Surprised by how close I could get with just the kit lens ( first pic ) and no problems focusing with the Raynox either ( second pic ). I haven't worked out how to disable the flash yet and bit disappointed that there are only three focal points! With the S2 I could position the focal point anywhere ( and frequently did! ). These are by no means 'keeper' photos as I only have the disposable battery at the moment, and have no idea how long that lasts, and a very small xd card which I've nabbed off my son! Bit confused by the focus as well as I stuck dial on manual, focused myself, and then depressed the shutter button - camera still seemed to auto adjust? Will have a trawl through the cd manual this afternoon ( after the footy! ) .

http://www.snappycat.co.uk/test2.jpg

http://www.snappycat.co.uk/test1.jpg

kgosden
02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Cat,

'M' on the dial is for manual exposure mode only. Exposure modes have nothing to do with focus mode. Focus is changed from various types of auto modes to full or partial auto from either the menu or one of the preset buttons. I have traded my E500 for an E510, so I cannot look at it to tell you which button.

Speaking of manual, if you got one you need to spend a few minutes with it (this is not meant as a snide remark, please do not take it as such). I would also recommend reading the E500 reviews here, at dpreview.com and wrotniak while you have the camera in front of you; I find that to be a better 'what the heck is this button for' than a manual.

Also, I do not know of any disposable batteries that are compatible with the E5x0 series. I would think that the battery that was included was a precharged LiIon rechargeable. Olympus does make a carrier that allows you to use a disposable battery, but the carrier cost nearly as much as a new LiIon.

cat
02-04-2008, 04:53 AM
ahhhh 'M' is manual exposure :D

Manual is on cd - which is just plain rubbish as I like to thumb through on the go!

I went through wrotniak's site, which is fab, this morning and have played about with the settings a little. Have at least managed to disable the ruddy flash!

I think it's going to take me a little time to familiarise myself with the buttons. I started with a little Canon A60 and then moved up to the Canon S2 so am now confronted with a completely different menu system and out of my comfort zone !

Re the batteries, camera was indeed supplied with disposables and a carrier. My memory card arrived this morning, still waiting for the rechargeables. I'm assuming disposables won't last very long... on my S2 I never got more than a couple of shots off!