PDA

View Full Version : Slow shutter with Sony !

Mikey
01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Hy,

Why the majority of Sony point-n-shoot cameras uses a shutter of 1/50 or 1/40 indoors WITH FLASH ???. Because all Canon, Kodak, Casio, etc. cameras in the same conditions never decreases beloow 1/60 !!!.
1/50 or 1/40 means some inevitably camera shake ... .

Mikey.

Mikey
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I want to buy my mom the W1 and it seems it will make some blurr ... .

Mikey.

poikkeus
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I've taken about a hundred pics with my new W1. Some users have complained about the blur issue, but IMHO this is invariably due to one of two things: camera movement during long-exposure shots, and incorrect choice of picture-taking mode. Almost all of the time, it occurs with indoor shots.

A few of my early shots had that "blur." I read the W1 book (over 100 pages), and learned the fundamentals. (There are some features I haven't touched yet.) Now, every single picture I take is detailed and blur-less.

It helps taking lots of practice pictures to learn the W1's mode system. If I were to give two bits of advice...

1. Hold the camera completely still, from clicking the exposure button until the camera finishes -- especially in darker situations.

2. Don't be shy about using the flash, if necessary. The AF light makes taking in-focus pics easy.

Davschob
02-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Mikey you're right.

The shutter speed should never get below 1/60 for consumer brands. All the pros photogs I've even known won't hold a camera with a shutter speed below that...it's to the tripod you go.

My guess it has to do with the flash's ability to do it's job. Obviously it doesn't do illuminate things that well, thus the slower speed....AND BLURRY PHOTOS.

I just don't understand how Sony can expect Moms, Dads, & Grandmas to hold a camera steady enough for that shutter speed. I've taken head shots from a few feet that came out blurry (DSC-P41) And I've taken plenty of shots and know to squeeze the shutter.

This is my first Sony camera...it may be my last.

dwig
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
My guess it has to do with the flash's ability to do it's job. Obviously it doesn't do illuminate things that well, thus the slower speed....AND BLURRY PHOTOS.

More likely, its a desire to accomplish more fill-flash function (actually the inverse with the ambient filling the flash) indoors. Perhaps a tendancy to use slower lenses in the more compact cameras leads the designers to use the slower speed.

Davschob
02-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Perhaps a tendancy to use slower lenses in the more compact cameras leads the designers to use the slower speed.

Sounds reasonable. Slower lenses equals cheaper parts for Sony. Certainly they don't pass those savings on to us. Sony products are traditionally more expenesive than their rivals.