PDA

View Full Version : Tough Decision

mikejulius102
08-05-2004, 05:40 AM
I own the Konica Minolta A2 and a Canon 10D but i am looking for a 5-6 mp camera that I can throw into my pocket or camera bag to get a quick snapshot. I am thinking about the Canon S60, the Kodak LS753, or the Minolta G600. Has anybody used these cameras and can tell me what one they like or any better solution. Thanks

John_Reed
08-05-2004, 03:32 PM
I own the Konica Minolta A2 and a Canon 10D but i am looking for a 5-6 mp camera that I can throw into my pocket or camera bag to get a quick snapshot. I am thinking about the Canon S60, the Kodak LS753, or the Minolta G600. Has anybody used these cameras and can tell me what one they like or any better solution. Thanks(Putting on my Panasonic "zero commission" hat, carefully adjusting the brim...) You might want to look at the Panasonic DMC-FX2, FX7 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072204panasonicfx2fx7prev.asp) cameras, a couple of new image-stabilized models just introduced, due to ship within a month or so. The FX2 is 4MP, the FX7 is 5MP, and the latter is very compact, from what I can see of the photos. Currently available pocketable model for Panasonic is the DMC-FX5, which presumably gets obsoleted by these new kids.

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 03:29 PM
We own the Sony W-1 and are very happy with its performance. It runs $US 350 to $US370 on the internet.

Sarah Joyce

eastbluffs
08-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Curious about your decision.

This week, I got a Canon S60. Thinking of returning it, will shoot more with it this weekend.

After buying, read some negative stuff on it and after using it tend to concur. Nothing too serious: weak lense and battery door, less than great capture results (noise) , excessive lense distortion on low and high ends, long AE time in dim light. but I was looking for something to whip out, turn on, and get a shot in about 5 seconds. I didn't want to find the "sweet spots", adjust, etc.

However, I haven't really given it a fair chance and I'm not much of a photographer so I thought I'd ask an opinion of someone who might know.

Second: I also purchased a Minolta G500.

Do you know if the G600 was seriously changed? The body looks identical, the lenses have the same specs, don't know about the processors etc. I perfer tried-and-true to the bleading edge.

So far, I'm highly impressed with the G500. Only complaint might be the small display, small print on the menus (with failing eyesight, its tough to make out), and lack of easy-access buttons. That's all cosmetics though. Most of the really important controls are right there.

On the various review sites, it seems to get tremendous respect and I've viewed some shoot-out type comparisons with some great cameras and I'd say it did far better than one could expect.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1024&message=9698242

(hope the author of those photos doesn't mind, don't remember where he posted it from)

there were a few others.

I have a little time to return the G500 in exchange for G600. Its not much more $$. But when Canon went from S50 to S60 they seem to have sacraficed photo quality for gimicks, features, and wide angle. I don't want to fall for that again.

Looking forward to comparing the results between these two this weekend.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Brad Larsen