PDA

View Full Version : Restoration - image rescue. Have a go & share.

Phill D
01-19-2008, 03:29 PM
From other discussions then let's see how this goes.
Post here any old damaged images that are in need of some TLC for anyone interested to have a go at restoring them. Alternatively if you have any that you have done already then post before & after shots with a brief description of what you did to show what can be done. I'll start things of with the next post.

Phill D
01-19-2008, 03:39 PM
This is the only photograph I have of my Grandparents who died before I was born. The young boy is my father & the baby is my Uncle who is still alive. As you can see the photograph has not survived very well. I'm going to have a go at restoring it myself but any help would be most appreciated.

Prospero
01-19-2008, 05:44 PM
The way that image is damaged, restoring it seemed very challanging, which is why I decided to give it a try. I used the clone brush to fill gaps and remove dust and the healing brush to restore some of the textures (after cloning some looked a bit pixelated). I had some trouble restoring your father's mouth, because it is on a gap, which is why I copied the mouth of the person holding your uncle (your grandfather?). I also used the burn tool to darken the right side of the picture (seemed a bit bright and low on contrast in relation to the left side). Finally I cropped to save some work :)

Given the damage to the picture, it is never possible to get a good results. The picture below is nowhere near perfect, there is still some dust here and there and the cloning of the faces means some details have been lost and faces look different than they do in real life. However, a lot of the damage has been removed:

Phill D
01-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow Prospero that's brilliant thanks- you did all that whilst I was asleep :eek: I'm pretty amaized really at how much better it looks I wasn't expecting to get something that good even after several hours of work. I'll still have a go myself when I've time but you've really thrown down the gauntlet well done.

Geoff Chandler
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
~ Just found this whilst finishing off a night shift - I will certainly dig through my archives - I have one or two I have had a go at restoring.
Sometimes it is good to leave a few marks so the old photos still look authentic.
I also have one or two that are alsmost too hard to do - I might post one of those as a challenge - but most of my old pics are too large to post full size.

Prospero - that was an amazing task you did there - a lot of damage to work on with that one
Phil - do you have any others?? - Also - if you have a go at that one - do please post your version as well.

I will watch this space for others - and will also post something here very soon

Geoff

Geoff Chandler
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
This one somehow lookes better just for being scanned!!
However - I did have a bit of a go - this is the orig shot - it's My late dad
with his Mum and Sister
It was sent to their Mum as a postcard April 1944

Geoff Chandler
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
~ And my final version - there are various stages saved and also dfferent versions. I usually do that - but I really need to get around to deleting all the irrelevent ones!!
Incidentally - this was done a few years back when I was just starting to dabble with graphics etc

Geoff Chandler
02-08-2008, 03:42 PM
One I have lined up for a rainy day.
It's my great grandmother with my dad - it's unique -
I have scanned it several times to see if I can get more out of it
as soon as I try to increase any contrast I get these awfull lines all over it
But I will have a serious go one day
Meanwhile - if any one fancies they can do anything with it....