PDA

View Full Version : Photo on Paypal homepage

Chunky
01-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum and a relative newbie to photography so forgive me if this is a daft question.

There's a photo on the (spit) Paypal homepage of a credit card and the use of focus is intriguing. The whole number strip is at various degree's of focus with one digit in particular (the 8) being the most in focus.

The photo doesn't always appear but I can upload the photo here if it doesn't upset the mod's or break any rules.

Does anyone know how this would have been achieved ?

Cheers
Tony

griptape
01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
It's called depth of field. A large aperture is the easiest way to achieve the effect.

Chunky
01-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm familiar with depth of field and its typical use to blur distracting backgrounds but I've never seen it applied to something so small or to things so close together before.

toriaj
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
It's actually rather easy to do with a DSLR. You just need to be close to your subject. You could probably get that much blur with an aperture of f/5.6, f/4, or so.

Chunky
01-19-2008, 12:25 PM
It's actually rather easy to do with a DSLR. You just need to be close to your subject. You could probably get that much blur with an aperture of f/5.6, f/4, or so.

I might have a go although forgive me for not posting the results, not unless I succeed in blurring half the digits :)

toriaj
01-19-2008, 12:54 PM
If you don't get as much blur as you want, open the aperture as far as you can, and get the lens as close to the subject as you can and still focus. You would need a tripod (or rest the camera on a table, book, etc.) if you had to use a long shutter speed.