PDA

View Full Version : E-500 and extreme cold

sHanzek
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I may be going to the Packer / Giant football game on Sunday in Green Bay. The temperature at game time is predicted to be -2F, dropping from there.
If I go, I definately want to take my camera and get some shots. If I have all 3 batteries fully charged, and keep them warm in an inner pocket, should the e-500 function okay? I'm want to travel light, so I will probably stick my 50mm f1.8 zuiko and 200mm f3.5 vivitar (both om mounts with the 4/3 adapter) in my pockets. They are both manual focus, to reduce the battery drain. If I keep swapping out the batteries every 20 minutes or so, they should work?

Thanks for any tips. I used to use my om-1 in sub-zero cold, and the meter would crap out, but the shutter kept on clicking...

Steve

kgosden
01-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Your biggest worry will likely be condensation if you attempt to keep the lenses or camera warm between uses. If you can I would prechill the camera in the trunk of the car on the way there. Leave the battery out so that it is warm. It can take up to 15 minutes for the camera to match the outside air temp. That said, -2F might be a little cold for the focusing motors and shutter/mirror.

Gary24
01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I may be going to the Packer / Giant football game on Sunday in Green Bay. The temperature at game time is predicted to be -2F, dropping from there.
If I go, I definately want to take my camera and get some shots. If I have all 3 batteries fully charged, and keep them warm in an inner pocket, should the e-500 function okay? I'm want to travel light, so I will probably stick my 50mm f1.8 zuiko and 200mm f3.5 vivitar (both om mounts with the 4/3 adapter) in my pockets. They are both manual focus, to reduce the battery drain. If I keep swapping out the batteries every 20 minutes or so, they should work?

Thanks for any tips. I used to use my om-1 in sub-zero cold, and the meter would crap out, but the shutter kept on clicking...

Steve

First of all "You lucky SOB!!!" Being a Giants fan I wish I was going. I have used my E500 down to the low 30s without any issues. but -5 in GB could be a whole different world. Please let us know the outcome.