View Full Version : Help with Evolt 410

Jerry M
01-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I just picked up an E410 and began testing the camera indoors with the pop up flash and kit lens. Depending on the mode selected I can get an exceedingly long number of bursts from the flash before the picture is taken. The camera did not even take a picture on many attempts despite the large number of bursts. I suspect the bursts are from an AF illuminator.

Is there any recommendation on how to consistently reduce the bursts. People posing for he pictures get quite annoyed by it.

Also, will the addition of an external flash eliminate this issue?

Thanks in advance.

01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Congrats on the new cam. Yes, that is the case, the on-board flash does act as a AF illuminator and will not take a picture if AF does not lock.The FL50 and FL36 + (R) versions offer a built in IR AF illuminator to eliminate this annoyance. As I'm still learning my cam, I can't offer any settings other than recommend that you shoot with as little zoom as possible and make sure there is good contrast for the AF to lock or manual focus.

Hope this helps

01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
There are 2 solutions I've found for this annoyance.
First is to turn off the af illuminator and see how the af works, I've had few problems if there is enough light.
Second is change af mode to center frame and try to focus on a dark, non reflective object within your frame.

Hope one of these works for you

Jerry M
01-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Turning off the AF Illuminator did the trick. I didn't see it on the menu when I was trying to become familiar with all the features.