PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S1 IS or Kodax DX6490

thaggie
08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
I have never used a digital camera. After researching I have narrowed by list to the Canon Powershot S1 IS or Kodax DX6490 b/c I want the zoom capabilities. I have twins girls and two labs I like take pictures of while they are off at play. I have read great reviews on both. But being very limited in photography knowledge, I'm still not sure which is right for me. The main reason I want a DC is that I have wasted SO much film since my girls were born, taking picture after picture not knowing if I was getting the shot I wanted.

I liked the Kodax's large LCD and it seems easy enough to use. Not sure if I need the Dock.

I liked the Canon's tilting LCD and it has an image stabilizer (not sure if it is necessary) didnít like the fact that there was no optical viewer.

I will be mostly just printing my pictures, not a lot of emailing and computer stuff with them.

I know that they take different memory cards. Is one better than the other?

Is the image stabilizer a must?

I know Canon has a good movie mode. That really isn't of great importance to me.

Will either camera be able to take a clear picture of a dog running a fast speed? My niece has a Sony (not sure which one) and the dogs running are always blurry.

Of course good picture quality is important. But has you can tell I am not at all a professional or an armature photographer. I just want good color quality and sharpness.

Any options would be greatly appreciated.

Tabitha

John_Reed
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
I liked the Canon's tilting LCD and it has an image stabilizer (not sure if it is necessary) didnít like the fact that there was no optical viewer.
I think that both cameras, like all long-zoom digital cameras, use electronic viewers (EVF) for the eyepiece, and LCD screens on the back as an alternative, also for framing. The Canon's LCD screen is pivotable, which is a very handy feature for getting pictures at odd angles.

I know that they take different memory cards. Is one better than the other?
The Kodak uses SD (Secure Digital) cards, while the Canon uses CF (Compact Flash) cards. The CF is cheaper per megabyte than the SD, and generally available in higher densities. This would be a real concern to you if you were depending heavily on making movies, but otherwise, either should be fine for you.

Is the image stabilizer a must?
The image stabilizer lets you take photos without a tripod at quite a bit lower shutter speeds (slower, in other words) than you could if not so equipped. You'd be hard pressed, for example, to take a handheld full telephoto shot in the late afternoon with the Kodak, but with the Canon, it would be a lot easier.

Will either camera be able to take a clear picture of a dog running a fast speed? My niece has a Sony (not sure which one) and the dogs running are always blurry.
Short of advising you to buy a much more expensive dSLR, costing $1,000s, with lens, there's no "magic camera" that can easily make this happen for you. If you're able to use a very fast shutter speed (~1/1000 of a second or so) in the middle of the day, you may have some luck, or you can "pan" the dog, by following its motion with the camera, thus blurring the background, and maybe "freezing" the dog.