PDA

View Full Version : Exif Data for use of TC ?

Honest Gaza
01-09-2008, 12:35 AM
During photo shooting session, there is the possibility of various lens changes and combinations with/without TC attached.

Exif Data will tell you which lens you used, but is it possible to confirm which photos had a TC attached ?

The Mangler
01-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Try it & see what the EXIF says. I don't have a TC, so that's really all the help I can give... :cool:

Honest Gaza
01-09-2008, 01:20 AM
I won't comment on that response.

The Mangler
01-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Is it so hard to actually try it? Take a picture with the converter on, and one with it off and see if there is any difference in the EXIF data.

I assume you're talking about a teleconverter... If I had one I would try it myself and tell you. This should be pretty simple to test...

Honest Gaza
01-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Is it so hard to actually try it? Take a picture with the converter on, and one with it off and see if there is any difference in the EXIF data.

I assume you're talking about a teleconverter... If I had one I would try it myself and tell you. This should be pretty simple to test...

Since I'm the one with the TC....and I'm the one who suggested you can get Lens info from Exif data.....

You don't think I've already looked in Exif data for TC info ?

The Mangler
01-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Since I'm the one with the TC....and I'm the one who suggested you can get Lens info from Exif data.....

You don't think I've already looked in Exif data for TC info ?
If it's not there, why are you asking if it is? Are you asking if there is another way (other than the EXIF info) to get data on the camera settings (like a non-exif exif...)?

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post, it looked like you were asking if the EXIF data had info on if a TC was used or not. Now I'm thinking that you want something entirely different from EXIF... Care to clarify?

Honest Gaza
01-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Yep...that's exactly what I'm asking. As it doesn't appear to be indicated within the Exif data (or is very well hidden), I want to know if there is any other way to determine if a TC was attached or not :)

Viky
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
I would pm cwphoto! I'm sure he would know:)

coldrain
01-09-2008, 05:44 AM
The Canon 1.4x and 2x (and Kenko 1.4x Pro) are recognized by the camera (and block AF usage when the resulting aperture drops below f5.6). So those MIGHT show up in EXIF, but I am not sure at all about that.

Your Soligor is invisible for the camera (and as such, the camera does NOT block AF usage when you go over f5.6), and will not show up in your EXIF.

The ONLY thing that tells you it has been used is the ~1.5 f-stop drop in light availability. SO look at your photos, noticing the used ISO, f-stop and exposure time... the 1.5 drop in f-stop will show up, and tell you the TC was used.

Honest Gaza
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
The ONLY thing that tells you it has been used is the ~1.5 f-stop drop in light availability. SO look at your photos, noticing the used ISO, f-stop and exposure time... the 1.5 drop in f-stop will show up, and tell you the TC was used.

So from this, my understanding is that you are suggesting that when comparing a "series" of photos, there will be differences in exposure time when the TC is used.....or is there a calculation you are referring to ?

coldrain
01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Yes, I am referring to an exposure time that is more than twice as long with the TC as with a photo with comparable conditions and aperture/ISO without the TC.

That is the biggest tell tale sign.

Honest Gaza
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks CR....will do some homework this weekend :)

TNB
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
When I took a few pics using my Nikon 70-200mm lens both with a Nikon 1.7x T/C mounted on it and without the T/C mounted on the Nikon 70-200mm lens--it was pretty easy to tell which shots had the T/C mounted since the focal range would show as 200+ (i.e. 340mm). ;) Of course, not much help if I shot below 200mm--then again, I wouldn't have need the T/C if I shot below 200mm.

Honest Gaza
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I disagree (but I'm happy to be corrected).

I believe that with a 70-200mm lens, the focal length will still show as a maximum of 200mm, regardless of using a TC (keep in mind this is not a Canon TC....3rd party)

Coldrain......please clarify ?

TNB
01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Ever get a Canon answer?

Here's a photo that I took using the Nikon D200, the Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 VR, and the Nikon 1.7x TC. If you check the data using Microsoft's simple viewer, the focal length shows 340mm. If you check the data using Adobe Bridge (CS2), the focal length also shows 340mm, but the lens shows 70.0-200.00 mm f/2.8.

http://image2-9.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/upfiles/70716/Ge96279.jpg

coldrain
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
We were not talking about a Nikon 1.7x TC on a Nikon DSLR, but a bout a 3rd party TC on a Canon DSLR.

The Soligor 1.7x will not show up in Nikon EXIF either (but will work with many more lenses than the Nikon counterpart).

TNB
01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
We were not talking about a Nikon 1.7x TC on a Nikon DSLR, but a bout a 3rd party TC on a Canon DSLR.
Perhaps, that is why I asked if he ever got a "Canon answer". :rolleyes:

The Soligor 1.7x will not show up in Nikon EXIF either (but will work with many more lenses than the Nikon counterpart).
Compatibility is not really something I care about "either" since I never planned on using the Nikon 1.7x T/C on a lens shorter than the Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 VR lens anyway, but at least the data shows either way with or without the Nikon 1.7x T/C. ;)