PDA

View Full Version : Night shooting

nhmtns
01-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm a noob to DSLR's, but have loved photography for years. I just got a Rebel XTi for X-Mas and I'm teaching myself how to use all the features and settings.

I decided to try some night photographs yesterday, but I had a hard time getting the camera to focus on anything. I tried using all modes and adjusting aperture and shutter speed, but to no avail. I was using a tripod and there was some light but not much.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind I'm just learning. :D

toriaj
01-07-2008, 07:46 PM
The autofocus might not work very well, since there's little contrast in the scene. Manual focus is likely to be better. Some lenses (mostly older ones now) have a mark for "infinity focus," so that everything past a certain point (maybe 10 feet or so) is in focus. If your lens has that mark, use it. If not, just try to eyeball it, or find something far away to focus on.

Squirt
01-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Select the auto focus spot that corresponds to what you want sharp in the photograph. That way you will tell the camera where you want it to focus. also you should use a smaller F/stop like say F/11 or smaller to increase your depth of field.

Prospero
01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Select the auto focus spot that corresponds to what you want sharp in the photograph. That way you will tell the camera where you want it to focus. also you should use a smaller F/stop like say F/11 or smaller to increase your depth of field.

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond f/11. I would stay between f/5.6 and f/8. If you stop down to far, all the lights in your picture will become stars. It can be a nice effect every now and then, but often I find it very distracting.

If you use a relatively wide angle, f/8 will give enough depth of field for most scenes.