PDA

View Full Version : Will or Won't These Functions Work With the 18-125?

azsooner
01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
I realize this is going to be a stupid question and I should I have know the answer to this before I purchased the lens. However, I want to confirm what I believe I am reading in the D70 Owners manual.

From what I believe I am reading in the manual, the D70's flash control, flash sync and integration functions, and Digital Vari functions, including Auto, are only available when utilizing a CPU lens. Therefore, I believe none of these functions will work with the Sigma 18-125 DC. Is this correct? I'm a little confused because I can't find any reference anywhere to this being a CPU lens. On the other hand, I can't find any reference to it not being one either.

Sorry for the dumb newbie questions!

Jeff

D70FAN
01-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I realize this is going to be a stupid question and I should I have know the answer to this before I purchased the lens. However, I want to confirm what I believe I am reading in the D70 Owners manual.

From what I believe I am reading in the manual, the D70's flash control, flash sync and integration functions, and Digital Vari functions, including Auto, are only available when utilizing a CPU lens. Therefore, I believe none of these functions will work with the Sigma 18-125 DC. Is this correct? I'm a little confused because I can't find any reference anywhere to this being a CPU lens. On the other hand, I can't find any reference to it not being one either.

Sorry for the dumb newbie questions!

Jeff

Not a problem. As far as I know all of the functions work using the Sigma DC lens. All lenses designed for use with a dSLR, and many designed for 35mm film in the past 8-10 years, are CPU equiped lenses (pretty much any of the AF types). This does not mean that all CPU equiped OEM or third party lenses will work, across all functions, and there are places to get these lenses re-chipped if necessary. Typically re-chipping is reserved for expensive lenses as it's not a cheap modification.

Hope this helps.

azsooner
01-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks once again.

The manual gets a little confusing. It describes CPU, G, and D type lenses as if they are distinct types. Then later it sounds as if the G could be a type of CPU lens.

It makes your head want to explode.

Jeff

D70FAN
01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks once again.

The manual gets a little confusing. It describes CPU, G, and D type lenses as if they are distinct types. Then later it sounds as if the G could be a type of CPU lens.

It makes your head want to explode.

Jeff

Well sometimes it's lost in translation. ;) The G and D lenses generally fall into the "consumer" and "pro" catagories respectively. Again pretty much anything with AF in front of it is considered a CPU lens.

georgejo
01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I got this information from my flash unit (SB600) User Manual, of all places!

Identifying a CPU lens is very simple You just look for the 5 silver contacts on the inside ring (where you attach it to the camera.) If they are there 4 prongs in a row and then one prong a little distance from the 4 you have a CPU lens. If those contacts are not there you have a non-CPU lens.

CPU lenses measure the distance to the subject. Non CPU lenses do not you must set the distance (focus) manually.

By the way, 'G' type lenses (general?) are those which do not have an aperture ring. 'D' type lenses have an aperture ring. The 'D' (damn good?) lenses are considered 'pro' type in that you can use manual settings.

Of course I am talking Nikon here. I don't know about the other brands.

Regards,
George J.