PDA

View Full Version : A700 Firmware Update Numero 3

rawpaw18
12-29-2007, 03:19 AM
Another update if you have not seen it.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=3229&os_id=OSID&mdl=DSLRA700

erichlund
12-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't want to bash a camera, but I will take a moment to bash a company. Sony seems to have given the A700 the dreaded PS3 syndrome. I have one of these devices, as I wanted to find out what this game console thing was all about. Turns out I prefer games on the computer, as I really don't like the interface device. But that's not the point.

The other thing the PS-3 has is a Blue Ray DVD player. Yet, almost every time I use the darn thing, there's another firmware update. It never seems to end. OK, yes, they have added a lot of capability. But that just tells me they released the product long before it was ready, hence why they are getting clobbered in the industry.

I hope for all A700 owner's sakes that this is just a temporary thing, so that they can get it right. Otherwise, you are going to get very tired of making firmware updates.

DonSchap
12-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Eric ... personally I like the fact that SONY is taking the time to promptly follow up with updates to improve the major product they have developed. It shows that they apparently care about keeping their cutting-edge product current and correct.

Unlike Nikon or Canon, who seem to be turning out a completely new body as an "update" every six months or so ... what you get ... is ALL you get.

Nikon: D50, D70, D70s, D100, D200, D80, D40, D40x, D300 ... and that's just in the last three years!

Canon: 300D, 10D, 20D, 350D, 30D, 400D, 40D, New XT forthcoming.

SONY: α100 (prototype and touted as such ... two software updates) α700 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CURthb5m4cc) The Advanced Amatuer DLSR (finished product - 3 touch-up updates)

I ask you, who needs an update with the other two manufacturers? Who's got time? You want a Nikon or Canon-update, you have to buy a whole new camera to get it. Well, I, personally am not buying into that nonsense. Sorry. :o

I'll stick with a software solution ... it's a lot faster, cheaper ... and get this, I already have the camera. No new one necessary! :)

SONYNUT
12-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I Just Got My 700 2 Weeks Ago And Its A Version One...you Would Think They Would At Least Send You An Email Notice Since They Have Your Email When You Register

rawpaw18
12-29-2007, 01:41 PM
My Lightroom is up to version 3, D50 never had a firmware update
to my knowledge. No problem with firmware updates if it improves
a product with no extra cost. Lightroom just gets better and better.

DonSchap
12-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I Just Got My 700 2 Weeks Ago And Its A Version One...you Would Think They Would At Least Send You An Email Notice Since They Have Your Email When You Register

Subscribe to ALPHATRACKS (http://alphatracks.com/) ... the moderator keeps everyone updated through email ... for free.

SONYNUT
12-30-2007, 09:32 AM
finally got it to work

erichlund
12-31-2007, 07:54 AM
Eric ... personally I like the fact that SONY is taking the time to promptly follow up with updates to improve the major product they have developed. It shows that they apparently care about keeping their cutting-edge product current and correct.

Unlike Nikon or Canon, who seem to be turning out a completely new body as an "update" every six months or so ... what you get ... is ALL you get.

Nikon: D50, D70, D70s, D100, D200, D80, D40, D40x, D300 ... and that's just in the last three years!

Canon: 300D, 10D, 20D, 350D, 30D, 400D, 40D, New XT forthcoming.

SONY: α100 (prototype and touted as such ... two software updates) α700 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CURthb5m4cc) The Advanced Amatuer DLSR (finished product - 3 touch-up updates)

I ask you, who needs an update with the other two manufacturers? Who's got time? You want a Nikon or Canon-update, you have to buy a whole new camera to get it. Well, I, personally am not buying into that nonsense. Sorry. :o

I'll stick with a software solution ... it's a lot faster, cheaper ... and get this, I already have the camera. No new one necessary! :)

Don,

Even you aren't foolish enough to not recognize a wide range of classes of cameras there. There were something like 3 or more years between the D100 and D200, and almost exactly 2 years between the D200 and D300. BTW: Phil Askey reviewed the D200 in July, 2002, so it is coming up on 6 years, not 3. The D70 was reviewed in April, 2004, which is also nearly 4 years. Try and get your facts straight.

Even so, that's not the point at all. The point was that almost every time I turn on that PS3, I'm told to do another update. The process takes about 10 minutes, and, unfortunately, it's not completely automatic. I do, however, have the steps memorized. This is about the fact that they released the PS3 before they had all the features ready. Now they are adding features on a nearly monthly basis.

Now, as an example, the PS3 has a wireless network controller, but the first few updates I did with a CF card, because the wireless software did not yet include adequate network security. They finally implemented that after about 5 months.

Like I said, I hope for the sake of A700 owners that they are just working out a few bugs, and not applying Sony PS3 feature creep into your cameras. It get's annoying after a while.

DonSchap
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I see the same thing happening with everything digital ... a tweak here and there. Code doesn't happen overnight and you know darn well that "the Market" does not always allow for a 100% smooth release of this complicated stuff.

Even Canon couldn't see the focusing issue with their MkIII ... which they had plenty of time to examine. Yep, another update ... and that was a significant flaw in operation.

I'm not defending SONY ... hardly ... but, I do recognize the nature of technical support and refinement. As issues are discovered and reported, they are moving in and paring them down. I say, "Well done." At least it is fixable. ;)

BTW ... I can arrange these in class order, if you'd like.

Nikon: Original DSLR - D50, D70, D70s, D80,
Prosumer release - D100, D200, D300
Base-introductory DSLR - D40, D40x
Full frame - D3
... and that's just in the last four years!

Canon: Intro DSLR - 300D, 350D, 400D, New XT forthcoming.
Prosumer release - 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D
Full frame - 5D ... 3D? forthcoming
Full Frame Pro Model - 1D, 1D Mk II, 1D MkIII (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14999) <- "The Fastest, Most Powerful Digital SLR in the World"*
Full Frame Ultra-Pro Model - 1Ds, 1Ds MkII, 1Ds MkIII

* As of February 2007.

You know, it's kind of weird seeing Canon and Nikon with their reverse order of camera release. Confusing as heck for the novice shopper. Is it good marketing? I admit, it is something. LOL :D

Heck, as far as Canon's claim to fame for the EOS 1D Mk III .... Minolta could effectively claim "the world's first autofucusing system, since 1985." So what? What have you done for me, lately, right? Marketing ... hah!

Hardware is ... well, hardware ... in photography it'll keep changing and developing .... and, hopefully, getting all the better. That's where my head's at.

SONYNUT
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Like Most Companies..they Milk Every Product For What Its Worth Before Letting Out Newer Tech...just Look At Nintendo Or Apple Ipods

erichlund
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Perhaps I don't get it, but how is it a bad thing that Nikon and Canon give the consumer a full range of choices and remain strong in the market (to the tune of some 70-80% of all dSLR sales), while Minolta did so poorly in the market that they had to sell the business to Sony? You seem to be indicating that Nikon and Canon are releasing camera after camera, and that this is a bad thing.

Your timeline is still off. You say four years, but the D100 you list will be 6 years old around February or March. That jives with Nikon's typical product cycle of 2 years per model. In a rapidly changing environment, this is well within the bounds of normal, unless of course, you cannot keep up.

I'm just trying to figure out how this is a strength for Sony. :confused:

DonSchap
12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm having trouble seeing it as a negative.

Oh well ... different approach ... endless funds vs endless software. :D

Rooz
01-01-2008, 02:56 AM
sony havent been in the dslr market long enuf to have a broad dslr range. nor are they a big enuf player. look at pentax as another example. caon and nikon have the broad range cos they CAN. not to mention that they appeal to much broader market.

to me more bodies at more price ranges = more choice for the consumer. how is that a bad thing ? :confused:

sony have a mid range dslr in the a700 but nothing underneath or above that. you can't see a negative in that ? hmmm i dunno Don. if sony are indeed going to be succesful in this market they will have a very different, (and more varied), product line up in 2-3 years.

as for the firmware, i certianly think the more firmware updates the better. it costs nothing and if it fixes little glitches then thats great. now THAT side of things i see no negatives.

SONYNUT
01-01-2008, 09:29 AM
sony is making a killing on point n shoots

DonSchap
01-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I contend that SONY will be driving the market in entirely new ways, in a year or two, but then again ... everyone's got an opinion.

PMA could be very excitiing, this year. 30 days away.

Rooz
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
lol ok Don. there are just so many reasons to believe that...it just so happens that none of those reasons are true. lol