PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to have light dots on your TFT screen/photos?

digigal
08-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I new to the digicam world and I have a question. I recently purchased the HP 935 camera. I noticed there were 5 or 6 dots on the viewing screen. I exchanged it for a new one, but the new one has one dot. When magnified I noticed that the camera has one light dot on the TFT screen once it is magnified and it shows up in the software imaging program (when magnified). Are these dot(s) normal for a digital camera? Also, will this dot show up when I develop them at a 4 X 6 and/or 8 X 10 size? If not normal, should I return the camera?

Here is an example of what I am talking about. To view the dot, magnify the photo from the right hand corner (if possible). It's on the left hand side of the photo. It is on the navy part of the backpack before the black/silver strip.

Example photo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/digicamgal/HPIM0003.jpg)

Thanks.
Your help is most appriciated! :)

D70FAN
08-04-2004, 07:52 PM
I new to the digicam world and I have a question. I recently purchased the HP 935 camera. I noticed there were 5 or 6 dots on the viewing screen. I exchanged it for a new one, but the new one has one dot. When magnified I noticed that the camera has one light dot on the TFT screen once it is magnified and it shows up in the software imaging program (when magnified). Are these dot(s) normal for a digital camera? Also, will this dot show up when I develop them at a 4 X 6 and/or 8 X 10 size? If not normal, should I return the camera?

Here is an example of what I am talking about. To view the dot, magnify the photo from the right hand corner (if possible). It's on the left hand side of the photo. It is on the navy part of the backpack before the black/silver strip.

Example photo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/digicamgal/HPIM0003.jpg)

Thanks.
Your help is most appriciated! :)

Looks like dust on the sensor. This happens to dSLR's but we can clean the sensor. I don't think I have ever seen this on an all-in-one. Looks like 2 or 3 more that you missed.

Try this: Take a shot of a clear blue sky (if possible) and see if the spot(s) is(are) in the same place. If so, then you probably have dust on the sensor, and should take it back.

Is this a factory refurbished camera? Or new?

digigal
08-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I'm quite new to these digital camera terms. What is a "sensor" on the camera? So those dots don't have anything to do with the screen?

The camera I have now is new and sealed. It came directly from the warehouse of a Canadian-chain photography store called Black's.

judge9847
08-06-2004, 05:08 AM
The "sensor" on the camera is the thing that actually responds to the light that comes in when you press the shutter release button. It's the thing that actually produces your image and is really the heart of the camera. It's the equivalent of the film that's used in conventional photography so it's quite important!

I've had a look at your example photo and agree with George - there's more than one. I reckon there are at least 8 (eight) areas that are displaying the same characterstics.

But it's difficult to say what the problem is based on just the one image. Again, George is right. You need to do something else with your camera and then compare the images. A clear blue sky is great because that will show those sorts of problems easily. DON'T put the lens cap on and shoot a photo. That's not a good idea at all despite what you may read elsewhere.

Try and keep as much detail out of the images that you test photograph as you can. If it's possible, try photographing some evenly coloured card but don't use the flash.

If those "dots" are in the same place over and over again then again, I agree with George: it's likely to be dust on the sensor and it has to go back cos it shouldn't be there. Unless you've been shooting pictures in a very dry or dusty area that is which could have caused the problem. With the sort of camera that you have it's not possible to clean the sensor.

When I first read your post, without looking at the example, I thought it might be dead pixels or stuck pixels or something like that. But it isn't because the areas involved are far too large.

digigal
08-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I really appreciate your help. I've taken other pictures with the camera and there is one noticable dot. I haven't taken a picture of a clear blue sky yet since it has been raining for the past few days.