PDA

View Full Version : Photo rescue PP help

Phill D
12-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately water got into an old framed photograph of my wife's grandmother so I've been trying to rescue it with a copy of Photoshop elements I got for Christmas. I spent a couple of hours or so learning how to use the clone tool to re-do the hair & then reduced the highlights a bit using the decrease highlight curve option. I was quite pleased with the result for a first attempt but have got about as far as my on the job learning curve allows at present. Can anyone suggest what else I might try to improve it further? If anyone is willing to have a go to illustrate what's possible to give me something to aim at I'd be only too pleased to e-mail the original file. Compressed versions of the original damaged picture & my rescue attempt shown below.

Phill D
12-26-2007, 11:48 AM
And here is my rescue attempt.

Bynx
12-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Here is my version Phil. You did a good job. Most people I see in old pictures look funny, or rather like they belong in that old photo. This lady is a strong exception. She looks very contemporary and her beauty is timeless. I wish I could have known her.

ratty
12-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Wonderful job Bynx, good effort.

Phill D
12-27-2007, 01:17 AM
That was quick! Nicely done Bynx & thanks for having a go, I knew there was more to be had from that photo. And on behalf of my wife's grandmother thanks for the kind words too, much appreciated. It actually looks like you made a lot of subtle changes to the image can you explain what you did?

Bynx
12-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Belated Merry Christmas Phill. As to what I did to the photo.....I used the cloning tool to fix all the areas with emulsion missing. I converted to CMYK since its better for color correcting and took down the yellow, magenta and raised the black. Auto levels, Auto Colors and Adjusted Brightness and Contrast. Finally Adjusted Lightness/Darkness and finished up with Unsharp mask. Then I ran the picture through Noise Ninja. Oh by the way, you did such a good job on cloning her hair I used most of your efforts to duplicate that. I think you have my email. If you want to send me the full file Id be glad to work on it for you. Take care to you and yours.
Bynx

Phill D
12-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks Bynx, I'll try out some of what you did later myself to see the individual effects first hand. I have to say these forums are a great way to learn & thanks for your generous offer I'll send you the images. Yes now I'm afraid it's a very belated Merry Christmas to you but at least it's a timely Happy New Year :).

Geoff Chandler
01-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Happy new year Guys!
Cool job - both of you
I won't submit an attempt on this occasion - but
I do enjoy a challenge like that and have had a bash at
many old family shots.
I usually keep a few variations.
Depending on the shot - one method I use is to convert it to
B&W simply reduce the saturation - then do all my editing and cloning.
Play around with the curves & contrast etc - then add a Sepia colour after
if I want to.
It would be interesting, actually, if we started a thread for Old and restored images........

Geoff

Phill D
01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry Geoff I seem to have missed your reply on this thread. Thanks for the advice. Yes an image restoration thread would be a good idea. I have an old one somewhere of my grandfather & his family that is very damaged. If I can find it it might prove a suitable challenge to get started with.

Geoff Chandler
01-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Sorry Geoff I seem to have missed your reply on this thread. Thanks for the advice. Yes an image restoration thread would be a good idea. I have an old one somewhere of my grandfather & his family that is very damaged. If I can find it it might prove a suitable challenge to get started with.

It would be good, it could be double edged ~ either people could post images to see what others could do with them - or - we could post some of our own ones that we have simply tweaked or enhanced or restored fully just for the interest of sharing...
Kind of before and after stuff.
If I see someone started one I would post a couple of oddments I have done - and I am sure loads of others would