PDA

View Full Version : E510 Suggestions

gatoremt
12-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I am going to be purchasing a brand new E510 2 lens kit in the next few days. This is my first DSLR. I would like to get a external flash to put on the camera. I have read the reviews on the FL-36 and they are not good at all. I would like to get a flash for around the price range of $150 or so(or is it needed). I am going to be using the camera to take pictures of my daughter and also as another hobby. So I dont need a top of the line flash. Is there anything else that is a MUST have when I buy this camera?
Thanks for any input or suggestions.

kgosden
12-26-2007, 12:31 AM
I have been fairly happy with my FL36 on both my E500 and E510. But I do not take a lot of indoor flash photos. Recycle time seems pretty sluggish with alkalines. I have read that the new Sanyo Eneloops provide excellent recycle times; even better than NiMH. The bounce features on the FL36 are decent and the flash has enough power for good coverage bounced at 8-10 feet.

gatoremt
12-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Can I use other companies flashes like the ones made by canon or nikon? Will they work on the Olympus body. Because I will be taking a lot of indoor photos of my daughter.

kgosden
12-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe, but they will become fully manual flashes if they work. The TTL (Through The Lens) capability is brand specific. While there are some 3rd party flashes that offer TTL features on many brands camera companies have no reason to build flashes for competitors. Metz and a few other 3rd parties offer Olympus compatible flashes.

thx1138
12-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Can't give you much info on the flash front.
But, having owned the 510 for about 6 months now, I can say for sure you will want a faster lens then the 2 in the kit. They are good, but there are many times you don't want flashlight, so you will need more speed in the lens to keep your shots nice and sharp. For indoor use the 2 lenses are limited without a flash. So think about this when you say you want to take a lot of indoor shots of your daughter. Kids also tend to move around a lot.

Fast lenses are more expensive in general. But flashlight also has it's drawbacks.
Then again, it also depends on personal taste. I happen to like natural available light shots. I don't like flash shots so much, or I basically suck at shooting them. There's always a time to learn.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is very nice (and pretty much the fastest you can get), as is the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro. Both are very reasonably priced. A bit more expensive is the Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5. There's also a slightly faster Olympus 50-150mm then the one in the kit and it's only a few bucks more then the one in the kit.

If I could go back in time, I would just get the E-510 body and pick 2 or 3 lenses which are faster. Life is tough.

e_dawg
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, didn't know the FL-36 was reviewed as a poor flash. I love my FL-36 and recommend it highly to others. Took a bunch of pics on vacation with it and am very happy with it. Much better than the tiny, harsh, point-source abomination that is the pop-up flash on the E-510. Use it with the pop-down WA diffuser and some gels (e.g., 1/2 orange to match typical incandescent at home) and you have a fantastic indoor lighting option.

Metz makes a couple models that work well with the E-510 as well, but the FL-36 is truly excellent.

As for lens options, I am a big fan of wide angle photography and find it very useful for travel / city shots, so I would suggest an 11-22 or a 12-60. If you're willing to wait, rumour has it Olympus will be launching a lower cost superwide zoom... either a 9-18 or a rebadged Sigma 10-20. If it's the latter, I am guessing it will be around $450 and will be an excellent value (I have one for the Nikon mount).