PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 prints with 3MP digital camera?

ekerry
01-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Can I print 8x10 photos with a 3MP camera? I'm in the process of purchasing a new digital camera (upgrading from the Nikon 4300). I like the Canon S1 IS (Image stabilizer, 10x zoom, rotating LCD, etc.) but it's only 3MP. Should I hold off an look for another camera?

Thanks.

propwash
01-02-2005, 09:40 PM
There should be no problems with making 8 x 10 prints from the 3Mp Canon S1 IS. While you're checking out that camera, also check out the Panasonic FZ3. It has 12x zoom, stabiliization, and in my opinion, is a little easier to operate. It does not have the swivel LCD screen, and its movie mode is not as good as the Canon's. These two points are not that important to me, so I went with the Panasonic because I thought it felt better in my hands and was a little more intuitive. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

ekerry
01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks. I actually discovered the FZ3 while searching the internet last night. It looks like it's a great camera. Do you have red eye problems with it?

propwash
01-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Sorry, I can't really answer the red eye question. I have taken very few flash shots of people, but those I have taken weren't too bad. The worst one I took was of my dog, and I got a pretty bad case of "white eye" on that one. The reason was that it was in a very dimly lit room, and her pupils were very large when the flash went off.

My suggestion would be to see if you can find a store with a good return policy, and take the camera home and give it a try to see if you like the results. Good luck on your search.