PDA

View Full Version : filters -fz10

rubberduck
08-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Hello

I want to buy a filter for my FZ10 but there are so many :confused:

Uv,Skylight,Polorizer??

suppose my maine using of the camera is for landscape (day light ),which kind of filter do i have to use in order to get natural colores?

are there filters that improve photo quality?( maybe remove noise or better photos at low light ?)

thanks on advance to all the great pepole out there :)

John_Reed
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Hello
I want to buy a filter for my FZ10 but there are so many :confused:
Uv,Skylight,Polorizer??
suppose my maine using of the camera is for landscape (day light ),which kind of filter do i have to use in order to get natural colores?
are there filters that improve photo quality?( maybe remove noise or better photos at low light ?)
thanks on advance to all the great pepole out there :)
Well, if you play around with the camera's "Color Effect" settings, you can choose "Cool" or "Warm;" I usually use "Warm." Then, you can adjust your exposure by adjusting the EV level down a notch or two to, say, -1/3 or -2/3 EV. I think you'll find that you can get pretty natural colors without the help of a filter. I don't use one myself. Polarizing filters are good for removing glare, and deepening the sky color; some folks use those. As for better night photos, it's best not to use filters for that, in my opinion. You want all the light you can get, and a filter tends to rob you of some light. I don't think any filter works to reduce noise, by the way. One thing you might want to look into would be some kind of adapter to replace your lens hood. It has a 72mm thread on it, and you'll find that 72mm filters are expensive. I use a Pemaraal PD62 adapter on mine, which replaces the lens hood and has a 62mm mounting thread, a lot easier and cheaper to find filters for.

judge9847
08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi - I'll have to let others answer your question about filters but I thought I'd point out to you, just in case you're not aware, that you do need an adapter for the FZ10 before you can use a filter. The camera doesn't accept filters directly on to it's lens.

The one that I know about is the Raynox RT5264P which screws on to the lens and then the filter is attached. I'm sure Panasonic make them too but they seem to be like gold dust and never in stock at their eShops.

Personally speaking I use a UV filter only, simply to protect the lens.

Hope that helps.

Bob Patterson

John_Reed
08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi - I'll have to let others answer your question about filters but I thought I'd point out to you, just in case you're not aware, that you do need an adapter for the FZ10 before you can use a filter. The camera doesn't accept filters directly on to it's lens.au contraire, Monsieur! The FZ10's lens hood does indeed have 72mm threads on the front into which a 72mm filter may be screwed. Not a really great thing, since there is then a distance between the front of the lens and the filter, and also that 72mm filters cost an arm and a leg, but nonetheless, a filter may in fact be attached to the camera that way.

judge9847
08-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Ahhh yes, but I was very careful to say ...

The camera doesn't accept filters directly on to it's lens.

I can't think that anyone would really want to use a lens hood all the time ... would they?

John_Reed
08-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Ahhh yes, but I was very careful to say ...
I can't think that anyone would really want to use a lens hood all the time ... would they?
A friend of mine does precisely that. I'm sure he's not alone, though he IS Irish! :) He likes the lens hood for the "grip-ability" it adds to the lens barrel.

judge9847
08-06-2004, 02:44 AM
Your Irish friend ... he's not the guy who can't seem to take any photographs at all, beyond some very bad self portraits? Is he? No, he can't be ... mind you, using a hood all the time kind of makes me wonder :) :o

Takes all sorts I suppose ;)

John_Reed
08-06-2004, 06:36 AM
Your Irish friend ... he's not the guy who can't seem to take any photographs at all, beyond some very bad self portraits? Is he? No, he can't be ... mind you, using a hood all the time kind of makes me wonder :) :o

Takes all sorts I suppose ;)Now, slurring my Irish friend isn't really called for, is it? He's a man who's taken probably more photographs of more exotic places than you or I will ever visit with both his FZ10 and also his complete set of Nikon 35mm camera + lenses, and has gotten and compiled a helluva lot of nice photographs. Can you produce a photo of the facial expression of an Albatross on the wing? And, this fellow just happens to keep his FZ10 lens hood on all the time. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

rubberduck
08-06-2004, 11:47 AM
the two of you makes me wonder?? are you sure you are not brothers?? you argue like ones :rolleyes:

ok this is my problem(again)

after reading yours very good answer i have looked around for an adapter

but :( there are no "RAYNOX" nor "PAMAARAL" adapters in my country (not the u.s ) and i dont like buying over the net .

i went through differnt kind of stores and i only found adapters for the most popular models like for canon or nikon

are there any adapters from those companys that i can mount on my FZ10 camera (totaley rare companey over here-for cameras i mean).

thanks on adavance to JOHN and the "judge" for your help :)

judge9847
08-06-2004, 12:31 PM
How very strange ...
Posted 5th August 2004 11:22 pm

A friend of mine does precisely that. I'm sure he's not alone, though he IS Irish! He likes the lens hood for the "grip-ability" it adds to the lens barrel.
Something about "casting the first stone" seems to spring to mind here ...

I'm rather afraid that you saw something in my note that simply does not exist. Ironic isn't it? ;)

And no, rubberduck, we are not brothers and we're not arguing though it may seem so.

But back to your original question: I only know of the Raynox adapters and those made by Panasonic themselves. John has given you the name of a company that I haven't heard of but that doesn't mean a thing. I've looked at their web site and the only difference I can see between their adapter and the Raynox is that the Raynox is made of steel whilst the Pemeraal is a heavy duty plastic. Either clearly does the job.

All I can advise you is that if you did choose to order via the internet, there are many, many reliable suppliers all over the world and you should have no problems with getting the Raynox or Pemaraal adapter to which you can fix the smaller and cheaper 52mm filters. I bought mine from an internet supplier here in the UK.

Don't forget too that you will need that adapter if you ever decide to buy a converter lens of any sort for the FZ10. Those sorts of lenses won't work without it.

Hope that helps a bit more. And whereabouts in the world are you?

John_Reed
08-06-2004, 01:30 PM
the two of you makes me wonder?? are you sure you are not brothers?? you argue like ones :rolleyes:

ok this is my problem(again)

after reading yours very good answer i have looked around for an adapter

but :( there are no "RAYNOX" nor "PAMAARAL" adapters in my country (not the u.s ) and i dont like buying over the net .

i went through differnt kind of stores and i only found adapters for the most popular models like for canon or nikon

are there any adapters from those companys that i can mount on my FZ10 camera (totaley rare companey over here-for cameras i mean).

thanks on adavance to JOHN and the "judge" for your help :)
Hey, if you can't have disagreement, maybe you should be running our government? :rolleyes: On the other hand, you can find Pemaraal adapters here. (http://www.b-300.com/) You may not like buying on-line, but they do use PayPal, a pretty secure way to transfer funds, IMO. Sometimes you may have no other choice? I've got a Pemaraal PD62 myself. I didn't realize it was made out of hard plastic. It seems pretty rugged. In fact, (for Bob's edification) I use it with no filters attached as a handhold, much in the same way that my Irish friend uses his lens hood. I also bought a Pemaraal 62-55 stepdown ring to use with my TCON-17 lens, a frequent accessory I use a lot.

Matt Helm
08-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Try these (I use them with my FZ10)

Cokin P series system and a 72mm adaptor

Web site: http://www.cokin.fr/

BTW a quick rundown of my most used filters:
Skylight/UV - good for cutting down haze on the horizon
Circular Polorisor - reduces reflections and gives stronger colours (increaced saturation)
ND/Grey graduated filter - to cut back on sky brightness (and increase contrast) which also gives better foreground exposure.

The site explains most of them and also gives a visual before and after picture.

Hope this helps!