PDA

View Full Version : settings on evolt 510

stelle
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Just purchased an Olympus E-510. The pics that I have taken inside are darker than I would like. With my Fijufilm 5000 they come out so colorful and clear. Any suggestions on settings for inside pics? I use the "vivid setting" for I like color and the cloudy day setting in WB. I have owned a canon AE1 for years so know a little about cameras. I have found the the P setting will take a brighter picture also inside. Any suggestions for outside pics ? Anyone tried this camera and can give more insight? Thanks

kgosden
12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I have an E-510 (also a previous AE1 owner). I do not have any problem with indoor shots being too dark. Are you using flash? Have you locked the ISO at a low value? Not really sure what could be off without a better description of your settings. Can you post a sample and the EXIF data?

fotogmarc
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry to say I also grew up with the AE1 and it does not prepare you for a Dslr. Except maybe to know which end to look into.
The Dslr is different breed. Where with Film slr you could choose ap and focus, Dslr's have a number of different settings (if you don't use the auto modes).
Without knowing which settings you've set when the photos come out too dark it's difficult to resolve.
You need to read the camera's manual. :(

stelle
12-20-2007, 12:14 PM
The 1st pics that I took were all on auto settings. I had not had time to check out the settings when I began shooting--1st mistake. I deleted the dark pics so do not have any at this time to post. Yes, I have tried the low ISO and have read the manual from cover to cover trying different things, that's how I found the vivid setting and the WB to cloudy day to be a decent setting for inside. I have read some different forums and they suggest the flash FL36 or FL50 which I have ordered (FL36) but not received. In reading what others have done with the evolt 510 some have suggested using the raw mode all the time and putting the contrast to -2. That did seem to help.

Thanks for all suggestions and help.

kgosden
12-20-2007, 04:54 PM
You will definitely want to reduce the noise reduction from the default as it is a bit aggressive.

fotogmarc
12-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Hope the new flash helps.

Raw can help, but it's not a solution to your problem, it'd be best to fix it at the source. The E510 is capable of taking great indoor shots, don't despair.

As far as WB goes, that won't much affect your lighting situation, it tells the camera which type of light it is, not the amount.
A 'higher ISO' helps your poor lighting situation.
On your imaging software look at the properties of the good pics and see what the settings were, that should be able to help.
Also confirm the light metering system you're using (ESP, center weighted, etc).

An expensive solution is to get a faster lens.
But it'd best to try everything else first if you don't want to spend that kind of money.

You've got a great camera there.
Best of luck, I hope it works out.

stelle
12-21-2007, 10:46 AM
One thing that I did was to go back and adjust the flash intensity and that helped a good bit. I have played with the camera at different settings and found a good chart concerning ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed on another website that helped a lot. You are all right that digital is different that the film cameras of yesterday. I never realized there would be so many buttons and different settings to consider. Thanks again for all your help and I will keep practicing. Hope to take some indoor pics at Christmas.

fotogmarc
12-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Try a book on digital photography, they're a little more user friendly than the manual.

e_dawg
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I would suggest trying the following:

1. Use Natural picture mode setting and adjusting the contrast to -2 to brighten things up a tad. The Olympus SLRs, especially the E-410/510 models use a very contrasty tone curve which makes the midtones and darker parts of the picture look even darker. Vivid makes things even worse.

2. Use +2/3 or +1 exposure compensation

3. Use 800 or 1600 ISO indoors unless it's bright inside. Indoor lighting is usually much darker than you think.

4. I think the WB setting does influence expsoure a bit. Use Auto, Incandescent, or Fluourescent 1 WB settings to get the right colour. What I suspect is happening is that Cloudy WB is geared towards bluish light outdoors and will make everything look orangy and slightly darker indoors with the much warmer interior lighting, as the metering will not allow enough exposure on the green and blue channels to prevent the red channel from clipping.

5. The LCD screens on that generation of Olympus camera are quite dark, excessively contrasty, and have very poor colour rendition. Don't judge your pictures by looking at them on the LCD. They look better on the computer. I would suggest adjusting the brightness level on the LCD display to +4 or 5 in the last menu (wrench 2).