PDA

View Full Version : Whos got photoshop skills

Bradseubert
12-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey guys first post here, I have been browsing for awhile and just bought a rebel xti about a month ago. While I am learning how to use it I was wondering if you guys could give me some help. My Dad is big into using his Trail camera (the type you hang on a tree and uses a motion sensor to trigger. A few years ago when he got is first one it was just a very cheap 35mm. But he was lucky enough to get the pic of the three wolf pups below. I love the picture and wanted to get it printed and framed for him for christmas. I was wondering if any of you that are good with image editing would see if you could do anything to improve it for me. Thanks in advance. I love browsing the site and look forward to seeing what you come up with. If you need me to email you the original picture that hasn't been resized let me know.

Geoff Chandler
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
It depends how much you hope to lift this photo?
I reckon any of us that dabble with one of the Photoshop type graphics
packages could come up with an interpretation of an improvement for you
I am at work at the moment - so I can't post you a sample - but feel free to e-mail me your orig shot and I will tweak it & send it back.
Maybe if several do it you can choose a favorite interpretation...
My idea would be to reduce the blue haze - slightly increase the contrast and sharpness along with adding a little extra warmth and colour.

Don't get me wrong though - I prefer my photos to look natural - so I don't go overboard with processing.

geof777@yahoo.com

Geoff:)

rdub202
12-13-2007, 07:57 PM
that is an increddible shot. looks like a painting. wish i could help ya.

SpecialK
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't use Photo Shop, but maybe you'll like this. It took less than a minute - auto white balance adjustment, darken, crop - so I won't feel bad if you don't like it :-)

Bynx
12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
If this is ok let me know and I will give you my email to send the large file.

AdamW
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
In Photoshop CS3:
Cropped
Shadows & Highlights
Color Balance
Unsharp Mask

n20capri
12-13-2007, 09:52 PM
if you like my version send original to n20capri at comcast dot net

Turn
12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Just did my trademark stuff

I have a fetish for contrast and if DCResource forums increased the file limit to 1mb I would be a lot happier

SpecialK in my opinion did it the best, it looks like an old photo
and good song too (by Placebo)

if you want to know what I did:

duplicated the layer
slight dodge in the light area in general (big soft brush, highlights 12%)
Gradient Map (Blending Mode was multiply)
Curves (moved the Blue line down for more yellow, I find that a warm yellow always works in daytime photos)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9180/wolfcopyad2.jpg

Geoff Chandler
12-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Here's my attempt - admitidly after a night shift whilst trying to hurry the kids to school - but more or less OK
Personally I like everyones attempts - but feel that Bynx nudges ahead here.

Bradseubert
12-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks so much for all the work guys. Now I have to decide which I like the best. They all look awesome in there own ways.

Geoff Chandler
12-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I am sure I speak for all of us if I say: -
'IT'S A PLEASURE!'
Now, I would recommend you keep copies of all of them for yourself,
and print some off to see how the printed versions compare.
Hope it all looks good in the final job.
best wishes
Geoff (& all the others)

danidabi
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
My two cents: I like special Ks version the best, although they are all great!!

SpecialK
12-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the vote, though of course it's not a contest :-)

Geoff Chandler
12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
That's interesting - as Special K & Turn's offerings looked a touch darker on my screen - nice and sharp and otherwise well produced.
Maybe our screens - or even our eyes - are not all the same!

SpecialK
12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
The original seems washed out as evidenced by the foreground greens that are very bright - forests are not like that :-). Most the other versions seem that way as well.

Looking in the other galleries, I see all properly exposed shots (within reason).
My monitor at least passes on-line calibration checks, and I have not had comments to my gallery posts indicating there is a some problem.

Here's are some of those tests pages that you guys might check out.
I think the first covers it all.

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

http://www.displaycalibration.com/brightness_contrast.html

http://www.displaycalibration.com/color_depth.html

http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

You should at least be able to check the brightness and contrast from these pages. The color tint is a bit subjective however.

hokeyguy
12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
My preference is also special k's version. I've noticed some folks here seem to prefer lighter images. My taste sees those as washed out. I tend towards a darker/richer image.