PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photography for Seniors

pborow
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
After serving as a volunteer at our local Senior Citizens Center teaching several basic digital photography classes, I became aware of the special needs of seniors when it comes to new technology; especially digital photography. These needs extend beyond understanding how to use the camera. They include help with computer skills and an understanding of photo-editing as well.

As a result, I put together a set of free on-line courses covering the digital camera, computer skills and
photo-editing basics, available at Stone Bridge Photography (http://stonebridgephoto.com).

Those of us comfortable with technology forget that to some, terms like 'slow-sync,' 'USB,' and '.jpg' are completely foreign.

I've posted this information here for two reasons:

1.) Anyone struggling to understand the basics of digital photography may find the content of this site useful.

2.) Some of the more experienced photographers participating in this forum may be willing to take a look at the site and offer suggestions on making it better.

Iím hoping this post will not be considered too blatantly commercial. There are a few ads on my site to help defray my costs. I've spent 18 months creating over 800 pages of free content. I don't sell cameras, and there's a link to dcresource.com on the home page.

In advance, to anyone who takes the time to have a look at the web site and offer suggestions, thank you very much.

coldrain
12-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Well... 1st thing I notice, the site is VERY COMPLEX to "navigate". Not a clear menu, with vague stuff, and you have to read through a load to find out there is no info to be found, unless you... register?? why register?

That is just weird.

So... since I have no interest in registring, no further advice or comments about the contents of the site.

If you want to make it more simple for people with NO computer skills, do a redesign of the site itself. And I hope you include mac computer skills there, the Mac is a lot easier to work with for everyone, including older people.

pborow
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
coldrain,

Your observations are appreciated.

Registration was requested in order to help track site activity, but you're right, registration can be offputting to many. I've removed that requirement.

Further, I agree with you that accessing the site's primary information was somewhat cryptic. I've changed the home page to offer a more clear and direct link to the course material.

Modified in this way, perhaps you'll consider taking a second, deeper look...

http://stonebridgephoto.com

Again, thanks for your help.