PDA

View Full Version : Sony A700 vs. A100 digital noise in low light...

orbitcorbett
12-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Well, for those who stress and fret over this sort of thing (folks who have to shoot indoors in low light with no flash like us wedding photographers), and who may be evaluating the Sony offerings as your camera of choice, I just wanted to note that the new A700 is pretty sweet in terms of noise (and in every other aspect). No, not perfect, and maybe a smidge behind upper end Canons or Nikons in some minor respects, but miles ahead of the A100. No surprise, really. Decent shutter speeds can be achieved in most churches with very low noise even up to ISO 800 at f2.8. Even went up to 1200 for a few without much penalty. Heck, the image size of the 12mp sensor is so frickin large that if anyone prints these at 8 x 10 (but usually smaller) you won't see much if any grain. And, some good software de-noising makes things even better.

If the next Alpha model is better than this, I don't know what I'll do with myself.

I only have some minor complaints to log. Why they turned the CF card slot around 180 deg. from the A100 baffles me. The AF/MF switch on the lower front of the camera is a tiny rotating switch and would have been better as a larger sliding switch like the A100. The AEL button could be a little farther to the right for easier thumb-actuation like the A100, The "C" custom button on the back is a fabulous idea (you can map this button for any function on the camera), I'd just like to have 2 or 3 of these buttons marked A, B, and C. As is, I have it set to actuate flash compensation so I can easily dial the flash output up and down. Better yet, give me a dial specifically for flash compensation. The DOF preview button could be larger and better-placed.

I won't go into all that I love about the camera, pick one up and judge for yourself.

liu1
12-10-2007, 06:05 AM
It is a sweet camera, I just picked up my A700 the other day can't put it down,

I'm not an expert but the A700 is also very good when it comes to moving targets.

I had the A100 and it was always was a little bury if any thing was to fast but the A700 is just great and the photos come out a lot better.