PDA

View Full Version : Something to try out

Paradox
12-03-2007, 01:48 PM
This Christmas is being spent at my sisters house - So I'll be there, at Christmas, with the young niece, and a camera. So it'd be nice to get some pictures of the occasion. I also know that I'm acquiring a Olympus Fl-36 external flash soon - I'm going to attempt to get a hold of it before the big day so I can practice. But basically, I'm hoping to counter the frankly pathetic low-light performance of the Panasonic with some bounce flash. But...I've never used an external flash before. So some advice is required.

Firstly, this flash operates TTL on the FZ50 - should I let the camera metre and compensate if necessary, or work in full manual mode? It'll be early in the morning, in winter - meaning fairly dark. Also, should I rig up some kind of home made diffuser and try some direct shots rather than bounce? Or, I have the option to rig the flash on a stand with an umbrella, but I'd have no way of triggering it at the right time as I have no sync cable.

Secondly, what shutter speed would you recommend to allow enough ambient light in to make the shot look more natural? I don't want deer in the headlight shots of her really. Are we talking 1/30, 1/20, or something different? I know it'll depend to an extent on the lighting already there, so I'll take it into account. But just a rough guide.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Bynx
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Homes with 8 foot white ceilings make good for bounce light. Try it and see how your people pictures work. If you dont have time to get to know your flash then Id leave it up to your camera ttl rather than going manual. But again try it and see what happens. There is nothing like hands on experience as compared to getting 101 opinions.

Paradox
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok, thanks for the opinion. :) Annoyingly everything except the flash turned up today, and they're out of stock of that. But hopefully they'll be shipping it on the 10th.