PDA

View Full Version : SB-800 Setup for Family Portrait

swgod98
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
A couple weeks ago, I decided to get in one a cheap studio setup. Since I already had an SB-800, I put an order in for another one and a set of umbrella's and stands for them.

Last night I finally had a chance to use them. This was a real quick setup in the living room (no backdrop), taken with a D80 and 85mm lens. Main light was set to full power and accent light to 1/2. I also let the camera popup add a little fill (I think 1/8th power).

Being this is/was my very first shot shot using this setup, I wasn't really sure how it would turn out, I but I think it ended up pretty nice...All done in manual mode 1/200, f9, ISO100.

Mom, Dad, and Baby:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/2083177194_78a693d708.jpg

I only took like 8 shots total and about 4 of them were me initially trying to get the Aperture set for proper exposure as I have no way of reading light levels...

This may be a rudimentary studio setup, but it seems like a great little starter kit and I'm enoying the process. If anyone has any thoughts/input/advice, I'm all ears!

Thanks.

jcon
12-03-2007, 12:46 PM
For your first time with this set-up you did VERY well. My initial observation is there is a dark shadow between the couple and on the left side of the guys face. My suggestion would be to raise the lighting that was located to your left and tilt the flash down a bit. The other alternative is get a 3rd SB-800 so you can have one on each side and one for the middle.

Overall I like what you did here. With more practice, those noticable shadows will vanish!

XaiLo
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
The light source to the left seems to be only causing hotspots and does not accent the young ladies hair well. It may have served you better pulled around more to the front and softened up a little. I sill like the picture thought good start.

swgod98
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
It's difficult to get what you want without modelling lamps, but you get what you pay for, right? :D

I only took 1 shot of them in this pose as they had to leave, so I didn't have a chance to review and retake.

Still, this is a good learning experience and thanks for the input.

nitheesh
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for sharing.:)

Family Portraits (http://www.gfmpainting.co.uk/portraits)