PDA

View Full Version : Which camera for night photography?

eka
08-04-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi there everyone,

I intend to buy a digital camera for my own and I’m very much interested in night photography. Since I’m a newbie in this photography thing (especially with the digital one), can anybody help me in giving advice on choosing a good digital camera for night photography purpose?
The digital camera options are : Canon G5; Sony CS F717; Nikon CP 5700; Minolta Dimage 7Hi; Olympus C-5060. What are the advantages and disadvantages of those cameras?
Does anybody have example images of night photography using each of those digital cameras?

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance! And I’m sorry for my bad English (English is not my native).
--Eka
:)

ruben
08-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi there everyone,

I intend to buy a digital camera for my own and I知 very much interested in night photography. Since I知 a newbie in this photography thing (especially with the digital one), can anybody help me in giving advice on choosing a

I am fairly new myself but if you are new to digital photography your camera does not have to be very expensive in my opinion. From what I have learned so far, with night shots you will almost definetly need a tripod for like lights and city shots at night. Or else you will see a lot of tracers from cars and other lights which makes it look distorted. If you are taking pictures of nature and people, in my experience just using flash worked great for me at some what close distances. I did not need a tripod for those type of pictures. This is just my two cents, the senior members will give a lot more advice than I, I just joined :)

Have fun!

D70FAN
08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi there everyone,

I intend to buy a digital camera for my own and I知 very much interested in night photography. Since I知 a newbie in this photography thing (especially with the digital one), can anybody help me in giving advice on choosing a good digital camera for night photography purpose?
The digital camera options are : Canon G5; Sony CS F717; Nikon CP 5700; Minolta Dimage 7Hi; Olympus C-5060. What are the advantages and disadvantages of those cameras?
Does anybody have example images of night photography using each of those digital cameras?

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance! And I知 sorry for my bad English (English is not my native).
--Eka

Of all of the cameras out there the Sony 717 is probably the best choice as it is the only one with true nightvision capability. It is also a pretty good all-around camera for day use as well.

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 05:35 PM
There are a number of digital cameras that do very well in the night photography area. Two that come to mind are the Canon S1 and the HP 945. Both take excellent night digital photographs.

Sarah Joyce

Pheonyx
08-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Clearly F717 (or828 if u have the extra cash) is the way to go for night shots. It features laser focusing, true night vision for photos in 0 light and is also a very good overall cam.

al macdiarmid
08-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I have the Sony DSC-F717. The laser focus works only on close up subjects, as does the infra red. Pushing the ISO to 800 makes the pictures VERY noisy. I am sure there are cameras out there that can do better. I have not tried many night shots, but the ones I have tried were a bit disappointing. Long exposures take twice the amount of time to expose, because the noise reduction takes a black frame to subtract from the picture, so you can't be in a hurry. Of course, one can't be in much of a hurry with night photography anyway. Time for me to try some again. Al

John_Reed
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I have the Sony DSC-F717. The laser focus works only on close up subjects, as does the infra red. Pushing the ISO to 800 makes the pictures VERY noisy. I am sure there are cameras out there that can do better. I have not tried many night shots, but the ones I have tried were a bit disappointing. Long exposures take twice the amount of time to expose, because the noise reduction takes a black frame to subtract from the picture, so you can't be in a hurry. Of course, one can't be in much of a hurry with night photography anyway. Time for me to try some again. AlI'll bet George Riehm may have a suggestion for you, like a D70, or any other dSLR, whose ISOs can run on up to 1600 or more relatively noise-free.