PDA

View Full Version : White Balance Correction

johnpierce
11-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi,

I hate to admit it but I just returned from vacation where I took hundreds of digital photos with the white balance set on warm fluorscent. I won't go into how that happened or why I was not alerted to the problem early in the trip. I think that there should be one correction algrothim to adjust the photos backward to the sunshine equilvaence.

I have a Nikon Scan 4.0 with editing capability. It has Curves, Color Balance and LCH Editor. Frankly, I have not used it and only know what happens when you fool around with it.

Is there a common setting that can be imported to make the adjustment to my photos; or has someone worked with the adjustment and can share how to make them?

Advice about a company that could do the adjusting for me without fooling with each photo separately would be appreciated.

Johnp

griptape
11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Were they shot in raw or jpeg?

SpecialK
11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Never used Nikon software, but once you determine the right correction, you should be able to select all the images and fix them in a batch.

johnpierce
11-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Hi Griptape,

They were all shot in JPG.

Johnp

Rooz
11-25-2007, 04:14 AM
what software do you use ?

johnpierce
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
The files have been saved as .JPG on my computer. The software that I have which can possibly correct them is Nikon Scan 4 which has color balance and Histogram adjustments. Should that work for the correction?

John

SpecialK
11-25-2007, 07:49 PM
If you can select all the images and apply the same processing, then it will work. Check the manual or tool bar.

You should work with a couple images first to make sure the correction is really what you want.

Rooz
11-27-2007, 02:18 AM
The files have been saved as .JPG on my computer. The software that I have which can possibly correct them is Nikon Scan 4 which has color balance and Histogram adjustments. Should that work for the correction?

John

i have not used that program, so not sure. the problem is that no matter what software you use, you will not be able to fix the WB with one click when they are all jpegs.

the only way to do it is to work on one photo and play around with the colour sliders, (or WB temps), until you find the colour is accurate enuf. then save the settings from that photo and do a batch convert with all the rest of the photos.

hoopefully nikonscan will allow you to save settings and batch convert multiple photos.

suemccartin
12-04-2007, 09:13 AM
The LE version of adobe photoshop allows you to pick a white or black point, this works very well for me when fixing a color cast. Unfortunately no batch mode you go through each image select the white or black point and let it do it's thing. We've all done it so don't feel bad. I think my 30D is much more forgiving of white balance than my 20D is.