PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of the E-410?

davephoto
11-22-2007, 02:51 AM
I've been a real enthusiastic user of my beloved Leica Digilux 2, mainly for it's size, the lens and the image quality. Unfortunately, it's recently given up the ghost (R.I.P.). I'm drawn to the E-410 mainly for it's take-everywhere form factor and decent technical reviews. Any real life experiences in terms of use, ergonomics, problems, etc.?

Thanks.

acs
11-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi Dave,
I have an E400, same body at the E410. You should handle one before buying: lots of folks don't like the absence of a big grip on the front.
I love the ergonomics. My other cameras are OM film SLR's and I like small, light cameras (I do a lot of hiking and travelling and space is at a premium!).
You can use old manual oly lenses on their digital cameras (if you get the adaptor), with limitations (aperture priority, focussing can be tricky, and they don't always perform wide open). But it does mean, for example, you could get a small, robust 135mm f2.8, and drop it on an E400 to have a very fast 270mm lens which will perform very well.
I cant' comment on image quality - the E410 has (they claim) improvements to software and I think a panasonic sensor. Plus live view, which could be v. useful.
The ratio of the 4:3 sensor is in my opinion much nicer than 35mm.
ACS
Final thought: my 30 year old metal OM2n still works perfectly (and will probably outlast me): my 1890's EOS Canon packed up after 12 years (some of the innards melted and stuck themselves to the shutter, plus the zoom grip got very tacky).
Any bets on how long a 21st century DSLR will last?

acs
11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
1890's EOS Canon packed up after 12 years
Er, thats 1980's :rolleyes:

davephoto
11-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Thanks for sharing your personal experience, ACS. I have handled the E-410 a couple of times at stores I've visited. The body and the kit lens were refreshingly small by today's standards. Like yourself, I still compare the size of today's digitals to the film cameras I've previously owned. I still have a Leica R5 which is positively svelte in comparison to my Canon 20D, albeit a good deal heavier. But you're right, Olympus has always has a good history of designing small SLRs. When I was using Nikons -- the last being an F2 and an FE-2 -- I was also jealous of those who carried the miniscule OM series. Are you happy with the image quality you've been getting from your E-400? Any dislikes? Any other users who'd like to chime in?

e_dawg
12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
I have the E-510 Dave, and chose it over the E-410 because of the grip and the IS. As nice as the small size of the E-410 is, there is no way I would have bought it because it is impossible to hold with anything but the lightest kit lenses due to the minuscule grip. Also, I find Image Stabilization absolutely essential and something I could not live without.

Apart from those two characteristics, the 410 and 510 are essentially the same. Given that, I find the image quality to be good, but a bit below the APS-C sensor cameras due to the slightly greater noise and lower dynamic range of the smaller sensor.

However, if you change the default settings for contrast and sharpness to -2 and use -0.3 to -0.7 EV negative exposure compensation, the camera is capable of taking pretty good pics. Get the 2 lens kit and you have two of the better kit lenses available from any manufacturer. They are small, light, and decently sharp.

Together, lenses and body form an excellent compact system suitable for travel and portability, which is the main reason why I bought an Olympus setup.