PDA

View Full Version : CANON 400D vs NIKON D80

jcanon701
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm looking for the camera body ONLY - and i am a beginner.

Is the Nikon D80 worth the extra $200 dollars for the body?

a little advice would help, thanks!

fionndruinne
11-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Depends on what you want to do with it, dude.

Give us a better idea. There is seldom a "better" or "worse" camera in DSLRs; there is just a better or worse tool for the particular job.

And if you're a newbie you should look at some less expensive models to start out with. Say a Rebel XT/350D or a Nikon D40. Or a Pentax K100D, even an Olympus E-550.

TheWengler
11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm with fionndruinne on his recommendations. The best beginner camera is probably the Nikon D40, the best deal is probably the Pentax K100D and since you're name is jcanon we'll throw the Canon XT into the mix. Also, I think he means the Olympus E-510. You should be seriously looking at the systems/lens offerings then picking the entry level camera from that system and using the rest of your budget to get a quality lens. If you do that then when you upgrade cameras you won't need to upgrade your lenses as well. These general "what is better?" type questions can't be answered because only you know what features you'll use. I doubt you're going to feel like you're missing anything if you get an entry level body. It's entirely possible that you buy the D80 but don't even use any of the features that it has over the D40.

fionndruinne
11-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually, I meant the E-500, which was a great deal a little while back, but doesn't seem to be priced like that now. The E-510 is priced just a little high for inclusion, and is a bit more toward the K10D/A100/400D range.

The concept of an inexpensive entry-level DSLR is this: minimal investment. With the high quality of entry-level DSLRs out there, you're not giving anything up in terms of image quality, just feature-set and extra-beefy build. But with your inexpensive starter camera, you can decide just how much of an investment your photography needs, and plan accordingly. Meanwhile, get the most out of your camera, and when it becomes very outdated or simply wears out (or if you simply must splurge), upgrade with an educated perception of what you need.

AtlPikMan
04-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Say i was gonna shoot Landscapes, Urban images & Night Shots. Which camera would be better?

Rooz
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
neither is better than the other. you need to pick the one that suits you in ergonomics, features and handling. the d80 is a fair degree heavier and larger than a 400d.

AtlPikMan
04-19-2008, 06:00 PM
neither is better than the other. you need to pick the one that suits you in ergonomics, features and handling. the d80 is a fair degree heavier and larger than a 400d.

No Kidding! Looking at pics i can see the D80 looks to be a bit larger than the XTI. The larger size is a plus for the D80(IMO). Ive got Meaty Paws.

Rooz
04-19-2008, 06:03 PM
it was for me too. the size, ergonomics, CLS and top LCD panel were the reasons i originally went for the d80.

T06
04-20-2008, 02:06 AM
And if you're a newbie you should look at some less expensive models to start out with. Say a Rebel XT/350D or a Nikon D40. Or a Pentax K100D, even an Olympus E-550.

Why????? Wouldn't that observation be reserved for an intelligent observation involving the criteria of the poster & their wants, not a first response of you should have X because.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice response looking for more details rather than just jumping in with a buy this or that.

My brother just bought a Canon 400D from an expensive Australian retail shop for $200 less than the Canon 40D would have cost him at retail prices! When I saw his purchase I could have cried. The 400D looked to my inexperienced eyes to be very significanly less camera than the Nikon D80 you asked about.

It's really going to come down to how much money you have to spend. How far are you looking to take your photography. How much do you value using a quality product. Do you hate feeling like you settled, would you even feel this (my brother doesn't he's blissfully ignorant). I don't mean to sound snobbish I just think these are two very different products for two very different market segments.