PDA

View Full Version : Need help with DX 7440 - Not Focusing?

madelmo
12-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I just got a DX 7440 for Xmas and I have been playing with it for awhile now. Now the problem I am having is when I turn off the flash, the camera will not compensate for the low light, in ANY mode. Aperture, Shutter or Manual mode all do the same thing. I've even tried doing different ISO/f-stop combinations. It does not seem to want to auto focus correctly either. Did I just get a defective unit or am I totally missing something here?

Thanks,
Walton

PhilR.
12-31-2004, 08:23 AM
So, what do you mean by "compensate for low light"? Has the camera stopped taking photographs completely? Does it still shoot photos, but the photos come out incorrect? If they do come out incorrect, what is wrong with them? Underexposed? Blurry? Out of focus?

At this point, all you've told us is that something is wrong, but you haven't really told us *what* is wrong. IOW, it is not possible to determine from your post if there is something wrong with the camera, or something wrong with the pictures.

PhilR.

pgoelz
01-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Sounds like the problem is that the 7440 maximum exposure time in auto modes is 1/8 second. I find that in many indoor settings, this is not quite long enough and the resulting shots are dark without the flash.

John_Reed
01-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I just got a DX 7440 for Xmas and I have been playing with it for awhile now. Now the problem I am having is when I turn off the flash, the camera will not compensate for the low light, in ANY mode. Aperture, Shutter or Manual mode all do the same thing. I've even tried doing different ISO/f-stop combinations. It does not seem to want to auto focus correctly either. Did I just get a defective unit or am I totally missing something here?

Thanks,
WaltonHere (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx7440-review/) is a link to Jeff's review of this camera. He didn't seem to encounter any of the problems you're talking about. It's possible you have a defective unit, though it's also possible you simply switched it into a mode that makes it behave as you described. Read through your manual closely, page by page, and see if there's something you've overlooked?