PDA

View Full Version : I need a lens suggestion.

braytan2
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I recently bought a Canon Rebel XTi and am thinking about buying another lens. I posted a few days ago about problems with taking pictures in a gym under florescent lights. I tried some suggestions and the pictures are a bit better but I'm thinking I need a better lens. I have two boys so I see myself taking lots of sports pictures under bad gym lights in future. Is there a particular lens anyone would suggest? I would like it to be telephoto too if possible. I'm trying to learn how to use this camera the right way so it will be a good investment for me to get a good lens. Thanks for any help you may have for me.

fotogmarc
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
New lenses are what Dslr's are all about. We search, scan and pour over as much as we can to find the "perfect lens".
The Xti is a great camera, but if you have the kit lens, it's limited. You mentioned indoor shooting of sports. You're probably going to have to spend some money for something adequate (as much as the camera). Zoom is the first consideration. 18mm - 150mm for example. Remember most lenses have a "sweetspot" that's where the image is most suited for the specs. Some will 'barrel' at wide angle and others will 'fuzz' at full zoom. Check all this at a decent photo store.
You also have to consider the f/stop; 2.8 is ideal for indoor shooting (but costly), you can try to get by with a 3.5.
Do you want IS (image stabalization. vibration reduction, etc.)? This may not be neccessary for action shots, as it only helps with the slower shutter speeds. Some want it at all costs.
I don't want to get into specific lenses as I haven't had enough experience with the different manufacturers.
Never the less you'll want to consider: Canon, Sigma, Tamron. They should have what you're looking for.

Best of luck

TheWengler
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I think the cheapest solution would be to go with the Canon 85mm f/1.8. I think you can get it for about $320. How close will you be? If you'll be farther away there's also the Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 which cost around $600 but are a little slower (I'm not sure if f/2.8 is fast enough). I believe r3g uses the Sigma on a Nikon D40. You might ask him about his results.

D Thompson
11-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I recently bought a Canon Rebel XTi and am thinking about buying another lens. I posted a few days ago about problems with taking pictures in a gym under florescent lights. I tried some suggestions and the pictures are a bit better but I'm thinking I need a better lens. I have two boys so I see myself taking lots of sports pictures under bad gym lights in future. Is there a particular lens anyone would suggest? I would like it to be telephoto too if possible. I'm trying to learn how to use this camera the right way so it will be a good investment for me to get a good lens. Thanks for any help you may have for me.

I don't know what lenses you have now nor what your budget is, but you will need something in the 70-200/300 range and fast like f2.8.

For around $1140 there is the Canon ef70-200 f2.8 L. It doesn't get much better than that.

For around $900 there is a Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

MT Stringer
11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Taking indoor sports pictures of your kids will usually mean less than average lighting like that found in school gyms. I agree with the idea of an 85 f/1.8. Set your ISO at 1600 (your max) with that lens set in AV mode at f/1.8 or f/2 and you should be able to get shutter speeds at or about 1/500 sec. That all depends on the lighting.

I shot several games with my RebelXT with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and at times, the shutterspeed was slow resulting is less than ideal pics.

Here is a sample from the game. More light or faster glass would have helped alot.

Good luck.
Mike

fionndruinne
11-14-2007, 02:29 PM
r3g gets pretty good results from the 50-150mm f/2.8 and ISO 800. ISO 1600 would increase the usability, at a little more grain. Fortunately the XTi is pretty good noisewise, once you run it through some noise reduction. Chroma (color) noise is what it's big on, which is visually obtrusive, but cleans up pretty well.