View Full Version : Better 4MP choice: Canon A80 or Sony P73?

08-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a 4 megapixel camera with decent options, and after reading different reviews on the web for the past few days, I'm considering the Canon A80 and the Sony P73.

Looking at the previous topics on this board alone, I can see that the A80 is generally regarded as being one of the better compact cameras. And, actually, I wouldn't hesitate to get it except that I want to be able to use the camera for more than just taking pictures. I know that I'm buying a camera and not a camcorder, but I really want to record high-quality movies on my camera, and the movie mode of the Sony cameras (640x480, 30fps, no time limit) is extremely appealing. The only problem with the P73 is the lack of any decent manual controls, and I've heard some negative reviews on it.

So, are these the only two cameras I should be considering? Or are there any compact cameras with both a high-quality movie mode and decent manual controls (i.e., aperture and shutter priorities)? Thanks.

08-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Why not consider the Canon S1-IS? Granted its only a 3+ megapixel camera, but you get 1)full manual controls 2) the 640x480 30fps video you want 3) 10x (thats "ten!") optical zoom 4)Canon optics 5)great reviews (since that seems to be an important issue, and IS for us novices.) 4mp is not 33% more useable photo area than 3mp, you actually gain only aroung 15.47% more optical density (translated as "printable surface area" for your photos) with 4mp vs. 3mp, and, of course, somewhat greater ability to enlarge and crop. I moved up from 3.2 to 4mp camera, and realized that in this price range, features and quality are much more important than megapixels. I recenlty bought Canon A80 (yes, full manual controls) for a little over $200US, and can justify applying the difference between purchase price and suggested retail ($399) toward a mini-DV camcorder - now thats the way to get good photos and good video. :)

08-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Get the A80, the manual controls are, imho, indispensable..

my Canon Powershot A75 gallery: www.zoodany.it

08-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I had also considered the S1 IS, but I didn't really want something that big, plus it doesn't have an AF lamp.

Is Samsung an unreliable brand to go with? Their V5 camera has all of the features I'm looking for, but I just never hear anything about Samsung cameras (which would lead me to believe that they're not worth talking about).