PDA

View Full Version : new here...

nickelbud
10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
hi, i'm brand new here and wondering if i can't get a little help.

i do take some pictures (senior pictures mostly) for people and was wondering about picture editing.

i use a pretty cheap photo editing program right now. i take each photo 1 by 1 and change to black and white and save each seperatly. i can take up to 300 photos in a session (granted i don't use each of those) and it can be very time consuming. is there an easier way for me to change all to b/w and save?

any advice on anything will be helpful, and i will have more questions later.

JLV
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
If you are only going to use the photos as black and white, why not set the camera to take black and white?

Bynx
10-23-2007, 06:59 PM
JLV that is an absolutely great time saving way to end up with B&W pics......start with B&W. hahahahahahah

Vich
10-23-2007, 08:52 PM
What photo editing software do you have? For sure; Adobe Lightroom will do mass B&W conversions quickly. I think it's $200. You can download a fully operational trial version free.

nickelbud
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
i don't want only black and white, i would like to have both. thanks for the suggestion i will look into the free download.

i was using a microsoft digital image editor mostly and i've just now started to use adobe 7.0 and don't know anything about it except how to add color to my b/w's with the desaturation and then earasing a layer.

Bynx
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
It sure helps if you are clear in what you want. It sounded like you only need and want B&W. Now you say you need both color and B&W so therefore a solution to your problem is different. Vich's solution with Lightroom is good but expensive. The same for Photoshop. Graphics Converter Pro for PC is Shareware and can do batch conversion as you need.

D Thompson
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
i don't want only black and white, i would like to have both. thanks for the suggestion i will look into the free download.

i was using a microsoft digital image editor mostly and i've just now started to use adobe 7.0 and don't know anything about it except how to add color to my b/w's with the desaturation and then earasing a layer.

You can create an action and batch to accomplish it in PS7.

SpecialK
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
www.Firehand,com has Ember, which I use for basic editing and organizing. Does batches.

nickelbud
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
sorry about my not being clear on what i was trying to accomplish, i'll try to comunicate it better on my next questions...:)

i just downloaded the adobe lightroom and was able to batch edit some b/w's, but i couldn't figure out how to save them. i was trying to export them to their own file folder, they would save, but they kept saving in color...

i need to take a class! oh where oh where to take a class!!

nickelbud
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
You can create an action and batch to accomplish it in PS7.

i'll poke around some more and try to figure it out, thanks!

Bynx
10-24-2007, 06:22 AM
I have The Adobe Lightroom ebook For Digital Photographers. I will PM my email if you are interested.

Vich
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
sorry about my not being clear on what i was trying to accomplish, i'll try to comunicate it better on my next questions...:)

i just downloaded the adobe lightroom and was able to batch edit some b/w's, but i couldn't figure out how to save them. i was trying to export them to their own file folder, they would save, but they kept saving in color...

i need to take a class! oh where oh where to take a class!!

Try the free Adobe tutorials here. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/designcenter/search.cfm?product=Photoshop+Lightroom&go=Go

They have dozens for Photoshop (and other Adobe products) too.

In Lightroom, after you apply your changes to all selected photos, just EXPORT to JPGs.

I'm weak on PP skills, but I don't think Lightroom has a "SAVE". I think the Lightroom database (catalog) gets updated as you do things. You can choose to create a new copy of things as you import or to just point to the originals. Exporting generates a fresh copy in the specified format.