PDA

View Full Version : Changing backgrounds in CS3

Rooz
10-19-2007, 03:34 AM
i need some help with changing backgrounds pls. i need to do a collage of some favourite kids toys for someone. they wanted a different background behind it. now i have taken a shot of a toy against a black background. i use the magic wand and select all the background and erase it and then dump the new background in but the edges around the object are still quite rough.

whats the best way to achieve a background change with a smooth, even transition ? especially around the toy so it looks seamless. any help would be much appreciated. :)

here is an example of what i'll be working with.

D Thompson
10-19-2007, 05:08 AM
IMO the best way, although the most time consuming, is to use the pen tool and then convert it to a selection.

TheObiJuan
10-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Quick selection tool in CS3, switch to mask, touch up quickly,feather to 35 pixels or more, and presto.
Took me 45 seconds or so.
The more black the background, the better.
Ya might want to up the black slider a bit.

Prospero
10-19-2007, 01:12 PM
ObiJuan and Dennis gave good methods to do this. There are many ways to do this in photoshop. I usually use the magnetic lassoo tool and invert the selection (and after that some corrections with eraser.

By the way, for the best results I would recommend stopping down a lot more. That way, you will be dealing with hard edges which is a lot easier.

Rooz
10-19-2007, 03:30 PM
thanx guys.