PDA

View Full Version : Just got an email from Olympus...E3

Gary24
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e3/?EMC=e3#lt

Looks pretty tight! Love the swivel display like camcorders have! 10.1 MP, Live View, 11 point AF and In body image stability...MSRP $1700 for the body

DonSchap
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Someone needs to get an E3 on here, just to have a flashpoint for discussion.

Talk about a limited DSLR forum ... and I thought the SONY DSLR forum was lacking. LOL :)

Hello? Any Olympus owners thinking ... upgrade? :confused:

TheObiJuan
10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Looks very good! Can't wait for a hands on review.

Norm in Fujino
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Yep. I'm gonna be in line for one.

Gary24
10-19-2007, 06:13 AM

I was trying to justify swapping my E500 for an E510 but now with the E3 :D Of course I could get 2 E510 for the price of the E3 body :(

DonSchap
10-19-2007, 06:51 AM
I was trying to justify swapping my E500 for an E510 but now with the E3 :D Of course I could get 2 E510 for the price of the E3 body :(

One for the left and right hand, eh? "OlympusMan", to the rescue!

We've all been there, considering the upgrade to the E3 full-frame. It takes some intestinal fortitude to make the leap. I suspect my own time will come next April, when SONY releases their "Flagship" Full Frame toy. With this it seems to be ... "In for a penny, in for a pound." :cool:

Razr
10-19-2007, 05:45 PM
E-3 on order.

fotogmarc
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Sorry guys I'm a little disappointed with the E-3 (on paper). It seems like an upgrade to the E-510. It could be my fault, I was expecting the camera to take me for the next 10 years. But between the 10mp and no change in the sensor, all I'll be paying for is bells and whistles. It reminds me of the
Nikon D80 and D200, and that was over a year ago.

Now I have to decide if I want to wait for the next generation or switch systems.:(

cvicisso
11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
One for the left and right hand, eh? "OlympusMan", to the rescue!

We've all been there, considering the upgrade to the E3 full-frame. It takes some intestinal fortitude to make the leap. I suspect my own time will come next April, when SONY releases their "Flagship" Full Frame toy. With this it seems to be ... "In for a penny, in for a pound." :cool:What do you mean by 'full-frame?' When I hear 'full-frame' on a photography forum, I generally think EOS-5D, Nikon D3, etc: the cameras with a sensor the same size as 35mm film. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but you obviously mean something else entirely since the 4/3 system - by definition - will never have a 'full frame' camera (at least not in the terms I just described).

fotogmarc
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
It doesn't seem unrealistic to expect that the E-3 would have a been a major upgrade over previous cameras. The E-1 and E-330 when new to the market and though a little on the costly side provided technology that only recently other makers are including.
The E-3 gives the impression that they're trying to keep up with the other 10mp cameras, when they should be leading, considering the release date.
Should they change from the 4/3 system? Maybe it'll be neccessary for the pro and semi pro market. I have an E-500 and enjoy it, but my next purchase probably won't be Oly.

By the way I saw the Sony Alpha 700; kind of boxy isn't it?:p

Norm in Fujino
11-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry guys I'm a little disappointed with the E-3 (on paper). It seems like an upgrade to the E-510. It could be my fault, I was expecting the camera to take me for the next 10 years. But between the 10mp and no change in the sensor, all I'll be paying for is bells and whistles.

A camera that can take you for the next ten years could be any camera or no camera. It all depends on what kind of photographs you feel you have to take. My E-1 has only 5 megapixels and with proper maintenance it will still be taking great pictures into the next ten years. On the other hand, digital photography, like computers, is all about stuff like Moore's law, planned obsolescence, and "bells and whistles." In that sense, any digital camera 3 years old is really long in the tooth.

It should be emphasized that the sensor is not the same one as the one in the E-410/510. It's the same 10MP, yes, but the sensor itself is an advanced model, with new amplifier and circuitry. And remember that the E-3 isn't alone in being 10MP; Canon's flagship 1D Mk3 is the same. And the image difference from 10MP to 12MP (Nikon D300) is hardly worth talking about, unless you're a professional photographer bound by specific client limitations.

I've seen, handled, and taken pictures with the E-3 and its firmware 1.0, and for me it will be a major upgrade. The new vf is excellent (I haven't measured it, but it's said to be as large or larger than APS-C), the new focusing system gives it world-leading focus speed (with the new lenses; it also improves focus speed with old lenses as well), and the preliminary photos I've taken at high ISOs are quite respectable, at least for some purposes. High ISO is a compromise in any brand or flavor, and I avoid it whenever possible; in any event, in-body IS will make all my present lenses image-stabilized by several stops, thus allowing me to avoid the higher ISOs in many cases (I don't do sports, so have little need for the high shutter speeds it makes uniquely possible). The camera and all my lenses will be weatherproof as well. And there's liveview with articulating screen for the macro work and manual focusing I would like to do more of.
These details may seem like bells and whistles to some (just as liveview and dustshaking did until Canon adopted them), but for me they are attractive features. In any event, since the production camera isn't on the shelves yet, I think it's best to postpone excessively harsh criticism until we see some real in-depth results from the camera in a bit more experienced hands under real-world conditions.

fotogmarc
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
I agree with you Norm, I was a little harsh, when I saw the specs. For the price and the wait I guess I wanted more. The new lenses you speak of are definitely on the high end side. Will a Digital camera take you ten years, of course, but when photo printers that can print 17"x22" are priced under a thousand dollars the 5mp camera won't look so reliable. I still have all my cams from the 2,3mp and up. Do I use them? Hardly.
You're right, it depends on what you want to do.

Let us know when you get a good hands on.