PDA

View Full Version : Bluuuuuuured pictures..help!

Big Daddy
10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I have a NIKON D50 and I was indoors at a horse show shooting riding events. I was using my 70-300 lens and I had the dial set to "sports" which is supposed to help you photograph moving objects. I shot maybe 35 pictures and when I get home to look at them most are blurred!:( I normally use a monopod but not this time. I saw others there with larger lens and no monopods either. Not all of my pictures were taken with the zoom maxed out either. Shood I have just left the dial on "auto" and be done with it? I just don't like the fact the flash always goes off while in "auto" mode. Help!:confused:

kgosden
10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Big Daddy we really need a lot more info to give detailed help here. 'Sports' may well have been an acceptable choice, but it might not be bright enough indoors. You don't say how the photos are blurred; is it just the subject horse and rider, or the entire image background and everything? Can you share some of the exposure info from a typical shot (ISO, aperture and shutter speed)? This can easily be found in the Nikon software or by reviewing the images in the camera.

Sports mode on most cameras just does it's best to keep the shutter speed up as much as possible. On some cameras it will push the ISO up a notch or two as well. But that cannot make up for a lack of adequate light whether due to the lens' maximum aperture or the ambient lighting. Sports mode is really for bright, outdoor use. You would be surprised exactly how dark indoor arena lighting really can be. You do not mention what the maximum aperture of your lens might be. If this is the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 it really will not perform all that well indoors without boosting your ISO up to 800 or likely higher.

It is very likely that the folks you saw with 'bigger' lenses also had faster lenses and image stabilized ones at that. This would let them shoot in half the light you needed, but would still require practice and a good understanding of the relationships between subject motion and shutter speed.

Geoff Chandler
10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
~but don't despair!
How's about a couple of example shots so we can work out what's going on

Big Daddy
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/TOROM/Misc010.jpg

How's this for terrible?:(

Sorry I didn't put in more info but I don't know or didn't know until today the info I needed to be aware of! First off the lens is a NIKON AF NIKKOR 1:4-5.6 G which I found out today is not the greates of lenses for what I was trying to do. I also was schooled on aperture and ISO speeed,......which I knew nothing about. I was told next time inside a arena turn my dial to aperture and set the lowest setting then change the ISO to around 800 or higher for low lighting. I hope this info that I received today from the camera guy is correct. Any other advice I would really appreciate, and remember I'm new but tough so I can take it!:)

kgosden
10-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Actually that looks better than I would have expected. Your panning seems to have been good, but the shutter speed must have been about 1/125 or slower and that lead to some general shake and blur. Since the wagon and horses are on a curve you will never get the entire image sharp while panning unless the shutter speed is in the 1/250 or higher range. When panning you really want the subject to travel as parallel to you as possible so that they point of focus does not move out of the focal plane. In low light at wide open apertures you will have a pretty shallow depth of field to work with. You will need to decide if the horses or wagon/riders are your point of interset. Personally I would like the horses a bit blurred to show a real sense of drama.

John_Reed
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I actually like your photo, I enjoy seeing motion blur in a photo involving moving subjects. In this case, you managed to get the couple in the wagon pretty sharp, and the colors are nice and bright. If this is your worst photo, I'd say you're doing OK! :p

Big Daddy
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks folks, actually some were worse but I deleted them. I guess I should have used the monopod...........in the past my pictures turned out better using one with that lense. I did however learn today from the camera guy that I need to use apeture more and change the settings instead of using auto settings so much. That's the neat thing about this camera, I can take pictures and try different settings, and learn from my mistakes but most important is I can delete the bad ones at no cost!:)

Geoff Chandler
10-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I also agree with the others - the shot is not so bad at all and the motion does give it life.
It seems you are on the right track with all the advice.
The only helpfull addition I can make is (if you arn't already) when you
take the more telephoto shots - try holding the end of the lens with one hand to make it more steady. I am sure you are well on the way to being happier with your results.

griptape
10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D50
Image Date: 2007:10:16 18:50:17
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 95.0mm (35mm equivalent: 142mm)
Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
Aperture: f/4.2

With a shutter speed of 1/25, you'd be likely to get blur even with a perfectly still subject. Crank up your ISO to get the shutter speed up.

zmikers
10-18-2007, 04:58 AM
I agree, 1/25 is not good for sharp pics of moving subjects. When panning, blur is what you want, but you still want your subject to be sharp. In this photo that would be the riders. I also agree, open up your AP and crank up your ISO. Get your shutter speeds up to at least 1/125, more would be better. Yes, that pic is not that bad at all. :p

Geoff Chandler
10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Also - don't forget - the simple formula for avoiding blured shots of
(35mm equiv) focal length to shutter speed...
ie 200mm - min shutter speed 200th sec (unless you use I.S.)
This is only a guide but a usefull rue of thumb - some can hold the camera more steady than others

Razr
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Would at least make the subject sharp(er), though your background would have more blur-showing movement, wich is not all bad.

A monopod at least adds steadyness to your panning and maybe an additional stop.

An old 85mm f/1.8 w/1.4 tele gets you close to an ideal lens for shooting out of the stands.

Vich
10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
1. Get a faster lens. f4.2 at 95mm is dog slow.

2. At 95mm, about 1/100th. That's probably appropriate for that subject matter anyway. The horses legs may be slightly blurred but that will suggest the motion.

3. Lower your f-stop and/or increase your ISO until you achieve 1/100th. You could use Tv mode. I don't know Nikon, but most likely "Sports Mode" will not give you control over ISO (nor automatically raise it). If it does, then Sports Mode will probably be fine if you get a faster lens.

Bynx
10-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Hardly terrible. Id say pretty good shot. The advice youve had so far covers the info you need to made this shot better. I gave it a bit of sharpening on just the horses and wagon as well as removed the rail.