PDA

View Full Version : Fuji and xd cards

saltysk
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi,
As a consumer, I will shortly be purchasing a new digital camera to replace my outdated camera. Recently, I have noticed that Fuji has started to incorporate both XD and SD memory cards slots on their cameras. Does anyone know if Fuji will be abandoning the XD cards in favor of SD cards. Which will leave only Olympus using this format - XD. Thanks...sham

stever06
10-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi Salty-
Speculation on the xD format is that it will not be discontinued in the near future, but it will also probably not be upgraded either. The type H will be as fast as it gets(IMO). With the fast write speeds of SD and the capacities of SDHC, dual formats will be a norm for a couple models more (IMO). Oly's xD cards (but usable in Fuji's) make them proprietary for Oly cams to access panaramic and creativity functions on their cam's not accessible with other cards. The new SP560UZ is still using xD, so it should be around a while. Plus with all the beloved F1x/20/3x/4x and S6xxx/S9xxx series running around, there would be a massive outcry of foul!

This of course, is all speculation. I reserve the right to be wrong.
Regards,
Steve

griptape
10-11-2007, 11:10 AM
It will probably go the way of Smart Media cards, but probably not for a few more years. They simply have no advantage over the uber popular SD format (in fact they have several disadvantages, such as speed, cost, 2GB size limit, etc.) and it turns people away when they're replacing their old Canon or Samsung or other of dozens of brands of cameras because they already have plenty of SD cards and don't want to have to start at square one with memory.

tom s
10-13-2007, 04:53 AM
I don't want SD
I have Canon 400d and I like CF cards.
Fuji dslrs and prosumers also use CF cards, not SD.
SD is for silly hippy girls who like pink gadgets. :D:cool:

iamunique127
11-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Well put, so I agree

Is everyone in Croatia so forthright?