PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to JPG - settings?

Tony_V
10-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I am using Adobe Lightroom to do my post processing and export full size JPG files for printing. When I use the 'Burn Full-Size JPEGs' setting I sometimes get JPEG files larger than I can upload to the processor for printing. I have had files generated that exceed 11 MB (11,906 KB is the largest so far) and the limit I can upload is 6 MB.

My question is what is the best way to make these files smaller? Do I constrain the maximum size and use the 100% quality setting or do I leave the size alone and use something less than 100% for the quality setting? Also, Lightroom defaults to 240 Pixels per inch. Is this optimal for printing?

I am shooting with a Nikon D80 so the full size image is 3872 x 2592 pixels. Currently I am trying to print only 4x6 prints but I also print up to 8x10

Tony

Geoff Chandler
10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't have or use Adobe Lightroom - but I know if you are printing only 4x6 or also print up to 8x10 then you really wont see the difference if you reduce the quality %. I would experiment. I am guessing 97% should fix it, based on a system I use. As for the DPI - I don't know the answer to that one. But I would experiment and see what difference you can see.

sla
10-24-2007, 06:10 AM
I am using Adobe Lightroom to do my post processing and export full size JPG files for printing. When I use the 'Burn Full-Size JPEGs' setting I sometimes get JPEG files larger than I can upload to the processor for printing. I have had files generated that exceed 11 MB (11,906 KB is the largest so far) and the limit I can upload is 6 MB.
My question is what is the best way to make these files smaller? Do I constrain the maximum size and use the 100% quality setting or do I leave the size alone and use something less than 100% for the quality setting?
Tony

Hi
Saving in jpeg willl ALWAYS cause loss in quality. Whether it's a big loss or small, it depends on your judgement. Generally you should find no visible quality loss when output file size averages about 1/7 of full image size (for 10MP that would be 4-5MB). Most people wouldn't notice degradation of files compressed in 1/10 ratio, and most of us even in 1/15 (3 or 2 MB).

Don't resize photos to less than 10MP.
If you won't get direct answers, try to move Lightroom's quality slider under 100% and watch output file sizes. And judge quality yourself.
regards